New
Find
Notify
Tools

FAsmus
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Are you the Forrest Addy I see on the Macinists Forum I visit?

Posts: 43 | Location: St Lawrence Valley NY | Registered: 01 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tpr. Bret:

B: Are you the Forrest Addy I see on the Machinists Forum I visit?

F: Nope.

I'm Forrest the Wyoming long range buffalo rifleman. But, I have been a machinest!

Good morning,
Forrest

Posts: 246 | Location: Northern Wyoming | Registered: 21 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
But your are the FAsmus who tied for first at the Quigley a few yrs back only to get nosed out in a shooten off right?

[ 12-01-2003, 18:16: Message edited by: aladin ]

Posts: 1529 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Aladin:

A: But you are the FAsmus who tied for first at the Quigley a few yrs back only to get nosed out in a shooten off right?

F: Yup. That was me. I did it twice so far, once in 1996 and then again in 2002. Both times were tie-breakers: Same number of hits but the winner got more offhand hits than I did.

Last year I did something different and went for a Class win instead of going for top score: I used my hunting outfit M1895 Marlin in 40/65 under "Lever Rifle" class and won it easily. It was more enjoyable to relax and shoot the less specialized rifle under reduced pressure to WIN IT ALL.

Thanks for remembering, good evening,
Forrest

Posts: 246 | Location: Northern Wyoming | Registered: 21 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
FAsmus, Just tried your ingot method of freezing the sprue. It worked like a champ, I was able to cast a little faster and with lots fewer culls. Thank you very much, curmudgeon

Posts: 99 | Location: Livermore, CA, USA | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by curmudgeon:
FAsmus, Just tried your ingot method of freezing the sprue. It worked like a champ, I was able to cast a little faster and with lots fewer culls. Thank you very much, curmudgeon

Didn't see that one Forrest... so how's it done?

Posts: 1529 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Aladin:

A: Ingot method of freezing the sprue?

F: That one was in response to a member's question about "wrinkled bullets".

Someone, I forget who, said to cast them hot enough to lightly frost them all over.

I came on pretty much in agreement with the heat of casting question for elimination of wrinkles and complete fill-outs but then I addressed the related problem of rate-of-casting; much slower when being required to wait for the sprue to cool enough to cut clean with the tool running so hot.

When I'm up and running, casting hot for heavy 500+ grain bullets I not only use two molds to pace the run but also take a cool ingot of alloy and place it directly on the mold as soon as possible after the pour is complete, sometimes before the alloy has even cooled enough to solidify on top of the sprue plate.

As you see, the cool ingot pulls heat out of the tool right where you need it cooled off and the sprue cuts clean every time.

You will have to change ingots now and then as they heat up but that is so simple I didn't mention it at first.

This method is easily done and a good deal safer than the wet sponge method you hear of now and then.

Good morning,
Forrest