THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CAST BULLET FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Cast Bullets    The "viper" 177 pellet mould buy from a few years ago

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The "viper" 177 pellet mould buy from a few years ago
 Login/Join

Picture of Mark
posted
Remember the 177 pellet moulds that we did a group buy on a few years ago?

I was able to get them shooting OK if I trimmed them back to .355, but as you can imagine it was a royal PITA.

I have since given the mould to someone living in India, as they have a terrible time getting pellets there and they are usually expensive. Since I have done that I've been contacted by some other persons from both India and Pakistan asking if I could get moulds for them, some live in quite remote places and have problems sometimes just getting pellets of any sort!

At any rate, I thought I would post here seeing if anyone who was in on this one would be interested in selling their old mould. A lot of these people don't have much money so if you'd like to donate it that would be appreciated (that's what I did)

Thanks, and feel free to PM me any questions you may have.

If you're wondering how I got involved with this, it is from another forum focusing on shooting and gun rights in India http://www.indiansforguns.com/ If you want to feel appreciative for what we have here you can go and browse. Notice it does not really discuss hunting as currently most all hunting is banned in India.

Thanks for reading!

Mark

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are going to build another Viper run, do the Brittany version instead of the Pammy version -- that way they will fly pointy end forward instead of tumble.

Oldfeller

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Right now I'm just trying to find a few people who were in on the original buy and would like to sell the moulds they got from that.

At some point in the future if I were to organize a different run, it would been to be more of a 10 meter target design as that is what it would be used for. (Possibly a very rounded ogive with a small shoulder to give a wadcutter effect, but that's just a SWAG, probably machine up a prototype or 2 first).

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark,

There was a dude from Mexico that bought up all the spare molds years ago (and he actually ran a run or two as well, with permission). I don't think you'll find many Pammys running around any more, they are all down south of the boarder being fired backwards into armadillios (shell busters).

Oldfeller

One of Us
Picture of johnch
posted Hide Post
Just a FYI

Not sure who you are planning on cutting the moulds when you get that far

Not sure who cut them before

But on Cast Boolits we tryed to have Lee cut a 70 gr 22 cal mould

They declined

Even though I know they have done 22 cal specail orders before

So I would check before you get to far

Johnch

NRA life
Delta
Pheasants Forever
DU
Hunt as if your life depended on your results

Posts: 591 | Location: NW ,Ohio 10 Min from Ottawa NWR | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
johnch,

Thanks for the information -- I'd hate to waste my time trying to do something that simply can't be done. Always glad when the experts from Cast Bullets will drop in to give us the real scoop on things.

That's why hearing from the experts helps us newcomers out so much, saves us from repeating the mistakes of the past.

<g>

Oldfeller

one of us
posted Hide Post
John, do you know why Lee declined? I'm wondering if 70 grains in .22 was too long, causing the boring tool (or whatever you call it) to flex too much? Just curious as I have one of there 22 bators that midway sells as a special order item.

quote:
Originally posted by johnch:
Just a FYI

Not sure who cut them before

But on Cast Boolits we tryed to have Lee cut a 70 gr 22 cal mould

They declined

Even though I know they have done 22 cal specail orders before

So I would check before you get to far

Johnch

Posts: 80 | Location: West Central WI | Registered: 02 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of johnch
posted Hide Post
No I don't know why they declined
It may be the length or maybe that and being a 6 gang mould .
Not the 2 gang that the Bators are cut on

But I was told Mr Lee is the one saying it

I have seen a Lee 6 gang mould with almost the same exact bullet design that was done a few years back
So I know they can redo it IF they wanted to

But from what little I know about cutting moulds , it is a PITA to cut 22 cal moulds on a lathe
And getting 6 cavitys to be the same is not easy

1 thing though , they have cut a few different group buys that were well out of spec .
That they ate
1 I know of they cut 3 times , before it was right

Johnch

NRA life
Delta
Pheasants Forever
DU
Hunt as if your life depended on your results

Posts: 591 | Location: NW ,Ohio 10 Min from Ottawa NWR | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oldkellyfeller--I tried those bullets backwards and didnt get the greatest of accuracy and penetration wasn't so good into a 2x4.

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray,

Blame your friendly neighborhood Mexican then, it was his idea to shoot it backwards at his armadillios. He was using a powerful model of RWS as I remember (but memory goes first, doesn't it).

After he bought up all our unused molds he ran the mold design again to sell in Mexico and Latin America -- if he wasn't a pure sheister out to screw people it must have worked OK for the group he cut it for.

All I said Pammy would do was tumble head over heels, remember? Back BEFORE we actually placed the order and everyone voted twice on whether to change the design over to the shorter lighter and balistically known to be stable Brittany design.

The porky pellet did what I said it would do, tumble And we never cut the shorter lighter version, ever.

People, they're certainly funny enough to keep you chuckling.

Oldfeller

one of us
posted Hide Post
Oldkellyfeller---The purpose and idea of the heavy .17 air gun pellet was contrary to my needs and purpose of a pellet gun. I shoot sparrows in my backyard and most of these are off the lines,so I don't want a pellet to carry. If they made one with a parachute that opens up about 30 yards,that's what I would want. I do get coons,cats,possums,skunks,squirrels,armadillos in my back yard but I don't shoot some of those animals. As much as I'd really like to,I don't shoot cats as I would not want to risk someones cat going home crippled. So what I do is trap. When I trap any of the animals,our animal control will come get them and haul them off. Less hassle for me that way. If I'm leaving my back yard to shoot,it will be a plavce where I use my centerfire,so a heavy pellet is just not in my needs. Someone else ordered the mold for me is why I have one. BTW I gave the same input when the mold was in the idea and opinion stage.

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep, and we teased you a bunch about it and dedicated the pellet run to you and bought you a mold so you could deny you ever used it to pot several of the neighbor's walking squawking petunia bed mounding building flower petal munching cutie pie widdle kittens from a long long distance using your scope sighted centerfire 17 caliber rifle with a once fired cartridge case and a small rifle primer for the propulsion force. (faster twist rate on the centerfire rifle did actually work with the Pammy pellet, BTW)

The pellet just happened to seat like it was on purpose in the neck of the once fired case and the use of a cloth wrapped 2 liter pop bottle with a hole in the bottom coulda happened to work out really well for you, too, never-didn't it?

But you couldn't work hard to deny any of this real good without having one to deny... so them's that loved you bought a mold for you. And you did quit bitching about them oft violated flower beds after that, so we all musta coulda figgured we done all right by you.

And no, we never had any fun at all on the old list --- never.

And I bet you are still denying it, too.

<grin>

Oldfeller