New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mold maker for big bore rifle bullets ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone recommend a cast bullet mold maker for large bore rifle bullets, e.g., 458, 470, 500, 550, 585, etc ?

Or anyone know someone who cast such bullets commercially ?

Posts: 1003 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve Brooks (406-782-5114)www.brooksmoulds.com, Veral Smith(LBT), Rapine, Hoch, and Paul Jones.

Member here Mike Starling offers several large caliber. He recently sent me a sample of 475 bullets.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mountain Molds can bore a mould to any diameter.
He is reasonably priced and his on online program lets you design it.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Dittos on Mountain molds for customs.

I also like Ballisticast, outstanding molds!

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Also, go to

www.neihandtools.com

and then click on "our catalog". MANY large bore designs, and very nice moulds.

My 421-390 for the .404 Jeffery was in my hands EIGHT DAYS after I called-in the order. Note that this time period included both the manufacturing and shipping time from Texas to Nevada. EIGHT days! All NEI moulds are cut only to order, with none being placed "in stock" for a future date.

The 421-390 mould is aluminum with two cavities,and the bullets are very precise and round.....not always the case. Eighty bucks was a bargain, in my estimation. Iron is available at higher cost.

Regards from BruceB (aka Bren Mk1)

Posts: 437 | Location: nevada | Registered: 01 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Ballisti-Cast 435 gr .458" (sized to .459") and 500 gr .475 (sized to .476") bullet designs shoot extremely well in every gun we're heard about. Their moulds are as good as it gets ... are identical to the H&G moulds they purchased the rights to when H&G went out of business.

I like NEI as well.

I prefer meehanite to aluminum moulds over the long run. They're much harder to damage in use.

Neither Ballisti-Cast or NEI are inexpensive but they make lots of bullets and just keep going.

Mountain Moulds is not taking orders at the moment.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ballistic cast and lbt will both do custom molds if you ask.

Posts: 1404 | Location: munising MI USA | Registered: 29 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have both, NEI and LBT moulds. Even though NEI makes a good mould, IMO, it's not quite as good as LBT moulds.

Posts: 265 | Location: Bulverde, Texas | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/cmps_index.php?page=Links

A few links that might be useful

A Vote is like a Rifle: It's usefulness depends on the character of the user

BOOLITS BOOLITS BOOLITS

Posts: 538 | Location: elsewhere | Registered: 07 July 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I've used several LBT molds, but his current pricing is way out of line for an aluminum mold. For the same money you can have a balisticast mold, which is 10 times the mold.

Veral claims his molds are superior to cherry cut. Well I had a 4 cavity balisticast 310 gr .475" mold (I'm misplaced it CRYBABY ) I only did visual inspection of the bullets, didn't sort by cavity, and from my 480 revolver, it would put 3 shots into 1 1/2" at 100 yds. Sure, not going to set a br record, but every bit as good as a lathe bored mold.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul H:

Veral claims his molds are superior to cherry cut. Well I had a 4 cavity balisticast 310 gr .475" mold (I'm misplaced it CRYBABY ) I only did visual inspection of the bullets, didn't sort by cavity, and from my 480 revolver, it would put 3 shots into 1 1/2" at 100 yds. Sure, not going to set a br record, but every bit as good as a lathe bored mold.

And the nice thing about a mould that is cut with a cherry is that until the cherry has been used to make a LOT of moulds, each mould cavity will be pretty much identical....at least with aluminum or brass moulds.

What with lathe tolerances and all, it is difficult to be able to count on that similarity for lathe bored moulds, even CNC lathe-bored moulds.

So, if one finds a mould which really performs in his gun(s), and plans to make a LOT of bullets, it is always nice to be able to immediately re-order for a second, spare, cherry-cut mould. It will likely perform just like the first one. That's one of the reasons locally we all loved the late Don Eagan's cherry-cut moulds for our .30-BR benchrest guns....

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote