Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tungsten Disulfide as a dry lube
 Login/Join

posted
Has anyone ever used, attempted, thought about, using Tungsten disulfide as a dry bullet lube. It looks to me like its .5 micron size and lubricity would make it compare favorably to moly. Am I missing something that makes it unsuitable ?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The jacketed benchrest boys are playing around with several coatings, that may be one of them, I don't remember.

With regard to lead bullets, you completely miss the point of bullet lubricant. The #1 function of a cast bullet lube is to improve the gas seal. Lubrication is a distant second place.

Posts: 1095 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Was honestly thinking in addition too rather than as a replacement for the wax based lubes. I know it would not do anything to help the seal but am seeing several commercial casting outfits that use both a wax based lube and then a dry(powder) lube over the finished product

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
tungsten -- VERY HARD....
lubricity may be fine in atmosphere, but remember, graphite in vaccum or under great pressure, is abrasive.

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38464 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
lubricity may be fine in atmosphere, but remember, graphite in vaccum or under great pressure, is abrasive.

It is a good citizen's duty to love the country and hate the gubmint.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of STINGER
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:

good point jeffe. most of us are not metalurgists, engineers or ballisticians and would not know that.

thats why we pay you those exorbitant wages. just kiddin' ya.

thanks.

PLEASE EXCUSE CAPS, HANDICAPPED TYPIST.

"THE" THREAD KILLER

IT'S OK......I'VE STARTED UP MY MEDS AGAIN. THEY SHOULD TAKE EFFECT IN ABOUT A WEEK. (STACI-2006)

HAPPY TRAILS

HANDLOADS ARE LIKE UNDERWEAR....BE CAREFUL WHO YOU SWAP WITH.

BILL

Posts: 479 | Location: MINOT, NORTH DAKOTA | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
<xs headspace>
posted
Yeah, tungsten is hard, but this is tungsten DISULPHIDE. Read the specs on it--it's a lube that holds up under extreme pressure. The molecules act like nano/micro ball bearings, filling in the tiny roughness in the two sliding surfaces.

<xs headspace>
posted
Oh, yeah---never tried it for cast bullets, but moly on paper patched bullets is just like sex-messy, but nice.