Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Heavy Cast Bullets in .30-30 Win?
 Login/Join

posted
Thanks for the suggestion, What's A 30-30 AI?

Posts: 6 | Location: In the Shadow of Oregon's Coast Range. | Registered: 20 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
30-30 Ackley Improved.

Takes rechambering. Uses the same case - blown out a bit by fire forming. Allows more (slower) powder for higher velocity and normal pressures. Also takes different sizing die. It's a committment, but it has the payoff of better performance.

edit:

http://www.reloadbench.com/cartridges/w3030ack.html

Posts: 621 | Location: Virginia mountains | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
With 311299 at just over 200 grains sized .312,NRA Alox lube, Rem 2 1/2 LP primers, 14.5/IMR4227, 12.5/AA#9 and 15/SR4759 shoot very well in 30/30's. These are low velocity accuracy loads that have worked forever.
joe b.

Posts: 51 | Location: Marathon, FL | Registered: 03 November 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestion on the Ackley Improved I looked it up! Unfortunately this configuration won't work throught the Savage 340 or 840 Magazine! This is becuse the Ackley Improved gains it's extra powder capacity by both moving the case shoulder forward plus increases it's diameter Both of these factors cause direct problems with the Factory Magazine's Internal guide ribs. Also I'm after Safe loads within the .30-30's design limits, if I wanted to increase performance I would probably go to the .30-40 Krag. The third problem with the .30-30 Ackley Improved is by moving the shoulder location forward it would expose the bullet's lube grooves that much more to the burning powders heat and flame which is never good with CAST bullets (this may also loosen or dislodge the Gascheck) which would do nothing for accuracy! This isn't really a problem with Jacketed bullets though! As always thanks for the Suggestions though!

Posts: 6 | Location: In the Shadow of Oregon's Coast Range. | Registered: 20 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The inside length of the Sav 325/340/840, 30-30 caliber magazine is 2.625"

There is nothing that can be done to lengthen it or change the shoulder to convert the magazine to an Ackley Imp.

I know, I just stamped out 740 of the magazines over the past few days. We are the ones who bought the tooling when the factory sold it off years ago.

You simply have to find a bullet that will fit into the magazine and the gun shoots well. Or just use as a single shot.

Jim Wisner
President
Wisner's Inc.

Posts: 1441 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mr J Wisner! You Confirmed Very well what I though I saw looking at my factory Magazine's internal design.

posted Hide Post
Hi: In answer to your 1st question how long is the Magazine? As stated by Mr J. Wisner the Magazine box Measures 2.625" in internal length! This can be decepive though! I say this becuse you have to take into account that each of the 3 cartridges are moved slightly forward by the rim thickness of the cartridge below it. I find that by loading the Cartridges to a MAXIMUM overall length of 2.600" all feed well and none drag on the front of the inside plate of the magazine. In answer to your 2nd question if loaded as a single shot how much overall long will the throat allow? This question also has it's qualifiers! first off the NEI .30 Caliber 220 grain HPGC design has a bore riding nose making this bullet almost full bullet diameter it's entire length, it has a small radius for about the last 1/10" to the Hollow Point opening. This makes this bullet very blunt in shape, as a result of this the MAXIMUM overall length my un modified Savage Model 840 Serial Number 167xxx would allow to feed out of the magazine yet still Eject UNFIRED was 2.565". I have since Surface Ground .035" off the face of the fixed ejector this allows this action to Eject UNFIRED Cartridges JUST as reliably as before but loaded out to take FULL advantage of the Magazine's allowed 2.600" Maximum Overall Length! As to the 2nd part to your question!!! The throat of my rife is Very Very Long! I have seated this bullet out to a Maximum Overall Length of 2.700" this limitation is not caused by the length of the throat but by the fact that when I trim my cases to the SAAMI recommended 2.030" the top edge of the upper most Lube groove is right at the case mouth (this keeps dirt and pocket lint from sticking to the lube!). This is also Handy becuse it places the face of the GasCheck right at the Junction of the case neck and shoulder, this keeps hot powder gases off the sides of the bullet which burns off your lube and it also keeps it from loosening the GasCheck! This may or may not be an advantage in accuracy as I have had good accuracy seating this bullet to the overall length of 2.600" ALSO! Sorry if this seems a bit long winded but the details will keep others from having to relearn everything, I hope this HELPS!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
elk chaser,

Frank Marshall's writings in the Cast Bullet publication "Fouling Shot" got me started on heavy cast bullets in the .30-30 twenty or so years ago.

The standard .30-30 cartridge does just fine with the heavy weights. I have come to prefer slower burning H414, W760, 4350, just as Frank did.

One of my favorite levergun heavy bullet loads is a 205 gr. bullet seated to 2.56" o.a.l. (.60" seating depth) over 35 grs. of H414 powder, which is a capacity load. It feeds through my lever action rifles just fine.

I had this load tested in a ballistics laboratory and in their 24" barrel, it went 2,033 f.p.s. (!) at less than 36,000 c.u.p which is 2,000 c.u.p. less than the SAAMI maximum.

It shoots very well also and is just the ticket for the NRA steel ram at 500 meters distance.

w30wcf

aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
aka John Kort
NRA Life Member
.22WCF, .30WCF, .44WCF Cartridge Historian

Posts: 41 | Location: Erie, PA | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote