New
Find
Notify
Tools

ML bullet recommendations?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Any recommendations for bullets/molds to use with sabots in a .50 cal. muzzleloader? I am getting a round ball mold, but would like to try heavier bullets in sabots, too. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a Lee mold to cast a bullet that weighs ~400 grains in pure lead that has a hollow point, actually a dimple, that comes out .458". I then size it to .452 and shoot it with MMP sabots over 80 grains of FFF Goex. The result is an accurate, hard hitting load in my Green Mountain barreled Thompson Renegade. This procedure would probably work with any .458 cast bullet but I'm a heavy bullet type who limits his shots to 125 yards with iron sights. This barrel has a 1 in 26" twist, it is not the round ball 1 in 66" version which would make a difference in it's ability to shoot heavy bullets.

Posts: 273 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I also have two Renegades with 1-28 twist. The bullet I am shooting with the best luck is a Lee 500 S&W gas check bullet. It weighs 456 gr with soft lead. I am paper patching them, and for now I am using a over powder wad. I use 80 gr of pyrodex P. this is a groups from last week. Ron

Posts: 985 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info., guys. I appreciate your assistance and look forward to getting started!