Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Heavy Cast Bullets in .30-30 Win?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Elkchaser,

You might want to try IMR-4756. I have the 311284, and the combination with that powder and my M1917 30-06 sporter has been stunning so far.

Found starting loads in the Lyman cast boolit book.

posted Hide Post
I presently have a cast bullet mould made years ago by NEI for a .30 Caliber 220 Grain HPGC, I'm guessing this was designed for the .30-40 Krag? I think it would also work good in the long necked .30-30 Winchester. I would like to do some load development using this bullet in my Savage model 840 Bolt Action chambered in .30-30 Winchester. I need a good starting point to Estimated Pressure Maximum for this bullet using SR-4759 for a light target or practice load. Also I would like Minimums and Maximums for developing a Hunting Load using IMR-4064 or IMR-3031. Any thoughts? If you have no information on Cast bullets but YOU have developed loads for jacketed 220 grain bullets these are normally with in a grain or two ( Powder Load Wise ) and I would still like to hear about them! The only article I have found with a load along this line was in the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook (3rd Edition) written by Frank Marshall Jr. He Recommended 30.0 grains of IMR-4350 with the Lyman #311284 which weighs Approximately 214 Grains ( Close Enough! ) I have tried this load and while it shoots well, the Compression Lightly swells the case body ( Making Chambering a bit STIFF sometimes ). This is why I would like to Try IMR-4064 or IMR-3031. Any help would be appreciated. THANKS!

Posts: 6 | Location: In the Shadow of Oregon's Coast Range. | Registered: 20 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
First thing I'd like to know is; how deep must you seat the bullet in order to function through the magazine? If you plan on shooting single shot fashion, how much OAL will the throat allow?

As for your question; with any slow burning powder beyond 4895 speed, the liklihood of developing too high pressure is moot, due to the fact the bullet will occupy so much space in the case. Secondly, I don't worry about the taboo of seating a gaschecked bullet below the caseneck. I've fired thousands seated as such with no problems whatsoever.

I have shot 4759, don't care for it.....but everybody isn't like me. If the gun were mine....and it's not, I'd start with about 22 grains of 4895 using that heavy bullet and progress from there.

Posts: 288 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 23 August 2003Reply With Quote