New
Find
Notify
Tools

Immediate help needed
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Guys, I got this message from a friend who will at this time remain anonymous. I suggested hydrogen peroxide and baking soda. Any other imput? This is one of the fountains of useless information one depends on.
Ric Carter

Hey Ric...
I'm not sure how this machine works or how to post for help but if you could get me some remedies I'd appreciate it. I got "skunked"! literally-
I'll try to make a long story short.... Skunk came in thru Cat Door-dogs pinned it-heard ruckus and ran down stairs naked, with gun, in time for first spray- got front door open- skunk ran thru house to escape-dogs close on it's donkey-skunk got under truck ( surrounded by dogs), sprayed again. ( So much for the sight of me naked with a gun would scare anything!!! lol) I finally got Sapa but Sammy ran upstairs and jumped in our bed! Threw everything I could into front yard, slept with my head hanging out window- think it may be time to trade truck in! Have had windows open for 2 days, swamp cooler runnin, and Woolies on. It's COLD here Need better smell!
This HAS to be the worst thing that could happen to the "City Girl", and I know I could find a cure if I could just stop laughing! I mean HOW FUNNY IS THIS.....go to the mountains to get away from drive-by shootings and get attacked by a "run by skunking!"..it's TOO funny!.....there's got to be a way to get rid of the smell other than leaving the windows open for the next two years!
Thanks...
S

Posts: 922 | Location: Somers, Montana | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of C. A. Plater
posted Hide Post
Ran over one once and used tomato juice to remove the fragrance from the wheel and undercarriage. There commercial enzymes products that eliminate the odor of skunk too. Check with the nearest farm & fleet type store to find some. It's also available online but I think the need will be more urgent than that.

Posts: 181 | Location: Huntsville, Alabama | Registered: 21 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Waksupi tell ric that this works for us--Get a bottle of hydrogen peroxide the (the size just a little smaller than a quart size) a couple a spoons of baking soda, mix till the baking soda is dissolved then add a spoon of liquid soap or shampoo. Wash and the dogs off with the mixture, then rinse them with water.
We've got two dogs now, a semi brain dead vizela who thinks its really neat to follow right behind a skunk, cause sooner or later they will run out of spray, then maybe they will play with him, and a border collie who is a bunch smarter, traped a skunk in our live trap, border collie went up to see what was in the cage. Mistake, the border collie probably won't want to get that close of a view again. Used to have a black lab took a little more effort to get the smell out of his fur, mostly because a labs fur is so much more dense.
Ask felix, but I think the idea is that the soap breaks the oil loose and the peroxide/baking soda breaks the oil down. We have tried tomato juice and several other fixes that were supposed to work, the hydrodgen peroxide/baking soda DOES.
As a side note, I dispatch the skunks with snake loads out of a 1894C, with the rifle I can stand a little ways back from the live trap(havaheart)put the muzzle of the rifle through the trap screen when the skunk looks at the muzzle, no more skunk. The snake loads (CCI shot cups in .38 special cases) doesn't tear up the screen like a bullet would. But when the skunk expires they let go. The stink usually goes away in a day or two.

Posts: 33 | Location: the dalles, orygun | Registered: 23 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of felix
posted Hide Post
You guys are on the right track. Add borax, and vinegar in lieu of tomato juice, to the list. Use vinegar when the high ph of the carbonates/borates becomes bothersome. If your hands begin to pucker up while cleaning the dog, rugs, etc., then compensate a little by adding some vinegar to the mix. For stains/smells not on an animal, then going to a stronger base could help. Sodium carbonate is much stronger than sodium bicarbonate (baking soda). Sodium triphosphate will degrade oils in no time flat, and will also destroy a wool rug almost as quickly, so be careful when using these stronger bases. Using ordinary dishwasing/hand soaps should be tried first. It all depends on your patience, and on the cost of the object being treated. Hit the smell hard if the smell is worse than the cost of the object, for example. ... felix

Posts: 477 | Location: fort smith ar | Registered: 17 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ric...Being I have dogs and they've been skunked a time or two I just went to the pet shop and picked up a couple bottles of the commercialy formulated descenters and I've had pretty good success with them.

Joe

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's something (albeit commercial) that works.

Smells (r) Begone. A product of Punati Chemical Corp, Birmingham, MI. 1-800-645-2882 Distributed through TrueValue. UPC 48988 00112.

Good luck; and thanks for ANOTHER good skunk story.

Posts: 621 | Location: Virginia mountains | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If it helps at all a head/brain shot will usually cause a scent release. A 38 or larger will be able to sever the spine assuming a correct hit and cause Pepe le peaux to die without releasing scent. Gianni.

Posts: 65 | Location: Western MT | Registered: 27 October 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hi All.
I met this guy a few years back. He works on the chemistry of skunk scent and other animal secretions. He favors the peroxide/ bakeing soda routine. KevD Prof. Bill Wood's Skunk Scent Page

Posts: 24 | Location: Montana | Registered: 29 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My dog got skunked one and he got a tomato juice bath..worked farily well..

Posts: 263 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
k2 has the same recipe that the local DNR officer gave me. The reason that it works is based on the molecular structure of skunk smell and the reaction of it to hydrogen. A little deep but it works. I had a simular event happen, the kids left the dogs out for their nightly pee break. One of the dogs loves to chase the cats. As you can guess the dog thought it had found a new "cat" to play with. Trouble was the kids left the dog back into the house before I could stop them. Just the thing you to happen at bed time. ohshooter

ohshooter

Posts: 36 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been using the peroxide/baking soda/shampoo mix with good results for some time. But you should use it as soon as you mix it. it seems to lose potency pretty quickly. Taxidermists killing skunks to mount, (they make great gag gifts, and sell well), Will drop the whole trap in the pond. Skunk drowns, no scent release and the fur stays clean. BD

Posts: 163 | Location: Greenville, Maine | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had some memorable skunk encounters. Back in the '80s we were basing the Gauley River rafting operation out of a campground near Summersville. One year we got down there to find a skunk population explosion. They were everywhere and the campground owner was tearing his hair out dealing with "skunked" campers. We offered to help and in one night with an archer sitting on the hood of a little Izuzu pickup we killed 28 of them without leaving the campground. Most of them were pinned to the ground and died without spraying, but a few were very smelly. What to do? Well, the local cops had been operating a bothersome speed trap from a turn out on Rt 19 just up the road from the campground. A little strategic sprinkling of dead skunks fixed that problem in one day. Of course there was absolutly no beer involved in any of these shenanigans. BD

Posts: 163 | Location: Greenville, Maine | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BD:
I've had some memorable skunk encounters. Back in the '80s we were basing the Gauley River rafting operation out of a campground near Summersville. One year we got down there to find a skunk population explosion. They were everywhere and the campground owner was tearing his hair out dealing with "skunked" campers. We offered to help and in one night with an archer sitting on the hood of a little Izuzu pickup we killed 28 of them without leaving the campground. Most of them were pinned to the ground and died without spraying, but a few were very smelly. What to do? Well, the local cops had been operating a bothersome speed trap from a turn out on Rt 19 just up the road from the campground. A little strategic sprinkling of dead skunks fixed that problem in one day. Of course there was absolutly no beer involved in any of these shenanigans. BD

Now we know you as a good ole Mountaineer! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote