Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5 oldfeller boolit ?
 Login/Join

posted
I was wondering if anyone has experience with the 170 grain oldfeller boolit. I have a krag in 6.5x55 with a rather large bore (.2675 groove, .2625 lands) and a throat that is so deep even 160gr jacketed bullets have to be seated WAY out there to touch the lands. As I understand it this bullet was intended to address some shortcomings in the Swedish Mausers but I can't quite remember what was addressed and how oldfeller addressed it. KevD

Posts: 24 | Location: Montana | Registered: 29 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here are the design specs on the available bullet, just click on the colored <Enlarge cast dimensions> clicker to see the CAD print at full size.

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/so_moulds_6.5mm_swed.asp

and here are the ordering instructions,

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=000066.5SWED

Shame you didn't tune in about a year and a half ago, as we were doing custom-lapped matched sets of bullet mold cavity and matching sizing die that exactly matched whatever you had for a barrel throat area (just to make you feel really bad for not being an old ex-Shooters guy).

Now you just have the stock mold itself at the same great $13.70 for a custom cut mold Shooters price. The size is what it is, fortunately it comes very close to being the size that you need if you shot it at "as-cast" diameter and hand-lubed.

Boy, those were the days back then ....

WARNING: This bullet does address all the large throat engagement and alignment issues on your loading alignment but I don't remember the twist rate on your Krag right off the top of my head. The very fastest twist rate guns had some upper end speed limits associated with them that had to do with over-rotating the bullet.

For example, the 6.5x55 Carl Gustav rifles had a superfast 7.5" twist rate that did funny things to ANY and ALL the lead bullets that were shot faster than 1,800 fps in them, they over-spun and began to lose accuracy.

Most accurate speeds were around 1,650 fps in these fast-twist guns. Waksupi and Bruce B reported group sizes with the bullet of around an inch and a half at 100 yards at the 1,650 fps neighborhood (up to 1,800 fps with Bruce's slightly slower twist Manlicker). The long heavy bullet will easily kill a deer at that speed (penetrate him end to end) so that isn't really a big consideration functionally, just something to be aware of.

Oldfeller

Posts: 386 | Registered: 30 September 2002Reply With Quote