Find
Notify
Tools

Mould for .50 Alaskan?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Rather-B-Huntin
posted
I plan on shooting only cast bullets in my new WWG .50 Alaskan and would appreciate recommendations for a quality mould to use. I want to stay at 500 gr. and above.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded emotional and sexual maturity".

Posts: 258 | Location: Winfield, WV | Registered: 06 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
LBT makes several. I just use the Lyman that was designed for it and the 50-70. Buffalo Arms carries them.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rather-B-Huntin
posted Hide Post
Thanks Rich!

My casting medium is straight wheel weights. Will this suffice, or do I need to harden them up?
Do you have any recommended load recipes? And is one lube better than another? Size to .511"?
Sorry about all the ?'s, I'm a veteren loader but a rookie caster.

Thanks!

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded emotional and sexual maturity".

Posts: 258 | Location: Winfield, WV | Registered: 06 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
cant help you much other then to say to look at the ballistic cast web sight. Ive got a 480 lfngc ballistic cast mold that shoots great in mine but the only thing i have heavier is a custom group buy mold that goes around 510. Im not a fan of lbt molds. to me there overpriced. If im going to pay that much for a mold i want a steel mold that is going to hold up. I havent had much better luck with durability of lbt molds then i have with 6 cav lees. Like i said look at the ballistic cast web sight and see if they offer something heavier then my 480. Cost is about the same as an lbt and there hands down the best molds made today.

Posts: 1404 | Location: munising MI USA | Registered: 29 March 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Dittos on ballisticast over lbt. Ballisticast can make any of their gc molds heavier by sinking the cherry deeper in the mold block. I've found their molds cast heavier than their spec when cast from ww's, so if you spec say a 450 gr mold, it'll likely drop 460 gr from ww. Bullits from my ballisticast molds are just as accurate as from lbt molds.

I've used ww bullets at over 2200 fps, no problems with accuracy or leading.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
one thing few know is that ballistic cast will make you a custom mold. I had one made years ago and there machinist helped me alot in the process and we came up with a real winner. If i remember right they only charged me 20 bucks more then a production mold.

Posts: 1404 | Location: munising MI USA | Registered: 29 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RBH,

if I may; www.buffaloarms.com sells the bullets and the moulds you are looking for, IMHO. Order 50 bullets, and see.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
RBH,

if I may; www.buffaloarms.com sells the bullets and the moulds you are looking for, IMHO. Order 50 bullets, and see.

Rich

I looked at that and couldn't find a 50 caliber bullet. Can you give a direct link to it?

Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
RBH,

Rich

That 675 gr PB looks interesting, nothing gc though

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinJ:
quote:
RBH,

Rich

I looked at that and couldn't find a 50 caliber bullet. Can you give a direct link to it?

Thanks

You don't need a direct link, it says cast bullets .460 Dia and up!.. and up includes 50 cal!!! homer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by swheeler:
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinJ:
quote:
RBH,

Rich

Thanks

You don't need a direct link, it says cast bullets .460 Dia and up!.. and up includes 50 cal!!! homer

Not the moulds, the hard cast bullets. I don't see any 50 caliber bullets there.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know they offer them, I have bought the 5xx141 from them before. You may have to contact them on the phone...

Rich

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You should have a look at this limited run mould. It was designed for 50 Alaskan and 500 Linebaugh but works perfectly in my 50/110 as well.

http://www.castboolits.gunload...wthread.php?t=103462

I have one of these and I can use it to cast HP's or solid nose bullets by changing the pins, but would like another one to cast solid bullets only.

Quality is great and price is very reasonable.

Posts: 499 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 19 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm in for a three cavity, all GC, and one HP.

I want to take my 86 clone to Africa and talk to a Buffalo. It's already harvested a 2100lb Bison here.

Rich

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Get a hold of Tom at Accuratemolds.com. If he doesn't show it in his online catalog he'll make it for you w/o problem. It's a great mold and fast turn around.

He built me a dual cavity/dual weight mold for my 600 and designed what I wanted.

http://www.accuratemolds.com/

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thats a great bullet and is very accurate in my linebaughs and my 50ak.
quote:
Originally posted by JFE:
You should have a look at this limited run mould. It was designed for 50 Alaskan and 500 Linebaugh but works perfectly in my 50/110 as well.

http://www.castboolits.gunload...wthread.php?t=103462

I have one of these and I can use it to cast HP's or solid nose bullets by changing the pins, but would like another one to cast solid bullets only.

Quality is great and price is very reasonable.

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I use the lee 500 grain flat nose, but I just use the bullets at low speed for practice.

Posts: 5700 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote