New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lube question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just bought 3 sticks of Lyman Super Moly lube for $2 at a garage sale. I haven't heard of this stuff before, but I did find it in my midway catalog. Is it any good?

Any thoughts or expierence would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

one of us
Picture of felix
posted Hide Post
Yes, but don't get it on your clothes. Wear junk wares when playing with it, because it won't come out. ... felix

Posts: 477 | Location: fort smith ar | Registered: 17 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Quote:

If you use it in handguns leave it softer.

Please, I would like to know which advantages have soft lubes for handguns.

The reason of my question is, because I am looking for a low smoking lube for handguns (below 1000 fps). It will help me a lot if you know about some home-brewed recipe, like FWFL, soft or hard with this characteristic.

Moreover, I am trying hard lube recipes exclusively because manufacturers of Rooster Red, Thompson Blue Angel, Lyman Orange Magic, LBT Blue,etc claim their lubes are the best for pistol action shooting and produce low smoking.

So,I associate hard lube with low smoking . I will thank comments of all of you.

BA Shooter

Posts: 126 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentine | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BAshooter, isn't that shooting done outdoors? Why worry about smoke? What you want is accuracy first.
I don't see anything from my cannons except flame so I can't tell you if Felix is smoking or not. I sure would not worry if I was hitting the targets. I get no lead---Zero, not a speck with Felix and that is more important to me then a little smoke. But even more important is the accuracy is there all day. A miss is my fault.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BAshooter, I forgot! Hard lube can stay in the grooves in varying amounts and make a boolit out of balance. Out of a short barreled handgun a lot hard lube is not used in the bore. Soft lube will spin off the boolit as it leaves the muzzle and do it's job in the bore.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
bfrshooter, thanks for your prompt answer.
I agree with you, accuracy and no leading are more important than smoke.
But,in my case, when shooting rapid fire to multiple targets, sun rays reflect on smoke and it is impossible to see targets before the first shoot.
I see this aspect is not important for your practice.

Thanks for the second mail tip , I will recuperate shooted bullets and will take care they do not have any remaining lube in the groove.

BA Shooter

Posts: 126 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentine | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ba, you should be on the line shooting BPCR silhouette. I jokingly asked the guys next to me why they made all that smoke, but they didn't laugh. About the time the air in front clears, someone else touches off a shot.