THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CAST BULLET FORUM

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Cast boolit loads for the .480 Ruger.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
JML, thanks for the offer. I am now out of money so will have to wait. Retired on a fixed income is tough.
I cast boolits with the Lee mold and found they are close to .004" (.0039") oversize and .0021" out of round. The largest measurement is .4794". I shot some today without sizing and they didn't start to group until I got to 23 grs. of 296. At that load I had a nice 1-1/2" group. Still not good enough. I was worried about the oversize boolit being sized in the throat and destroying the grease grooves, throat is .4755. I was right and the bore was full of lead. This boolit needs to be .475 to .476 and have larger grease grooves. It also needs a gas check.
I cast hard at about 22 to 25 Brinnel. I made a .475 tube to push the boolits through. They spring back to .478. No help but I have to shoot them to see.
I E-mailed Lee about it but have no answer yet.
My opinion of the Lee boolit is very low right now. I might have to get Hornady bullets to see what it will do.
I had to make a jag to fit the barrel for cleaning. A little tight but it sure pushes out the lead.
The BFR really comes up in recoil and with the first shot from Creedmore I got a rug burn on my elbow that drew blood. Had to put a rag under my elbow because I forgot the elbow pad.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I did some experimenting today. I pushed 5 boolits backwards through my home made size tube until each one had the base sticking out. I chucked the tube in the lathe and turned the base a length of .075" at the depth needed to tap on a gas check. I lubed with Felix and pushed each backwards through my sizer, loaded with 23 grs. of 296 and shot them. I had 2 touching in a figure 8, 2 more the same 1/2" away for a group of 1-3/8" at fifty yds. I called the fifth a little high as my front sight drifted up into the white and the gun went off. It was 3/4" high. Not too bad for open sights at 50 yds. and will work fine for hunting.
This shows me the BFR needs a gas check! The rifling is not wide and hard alloys and a gas check keeps the boolit from skidding. There is no lead in the bore now. I went from a 4-5/8" group with Alox, a plain base and a bore full of lead to an acceptable group with Felix, a gas check and no lead. Looks like I will be turning boolits until I can try LBT's and make my own mold. I can also work loads now to see what powder charge I need.
The Lee boolit doesn't have wide enough grease grooves and was made for their liquid Alox. Stuff is junk if you ask me. Might be OK for low velocity plinking loads but does nothing for heavy loads except make a mess.
It is hard to find out what a gun will do when only one cheap mold is available. I am not cheap, just broke! XTP's are running over $21 with postage for 50. Lead, tin and antimony are going out of sight, might have to shoot wood boolits soon.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote