New
Find
Notify
Tools

Questions on shooting plain based bullets
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I recently bought a 30-30 barrel and stock for my contender. I've been shooting some store bought plain based 150 grain bullets. Accuracy with about 7 grains of red dot is good but leading is bad. Eventually I plan to buy a plain based mould-probably a Lyman because that is what I have handles for.
Where can I get info on PB shooting? I've looked at the Fouling Shot tech info (CBA journal) and I notice that most shooters use about a 20:1 lead/tin alloy. They also seem to prefer AA#9 or #11 powder. I would have thought you would use a harder alloy. Also, what about wads, toilet paper fillers, case sizing, etc?
I want to shoot PB because it dispenses with the gas checking step, which can be a PITA, and mild to moderate loads are all I really need for target shooting and coyote calling. I figure a ~150 grain bullet at about 1300fps ought to thump a coyote pretty good or take a squirrel out of a tree.
Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Max, all the 30/30s I've played with were excellent lead bullet guns and capable of producing much better performance that what you are seeking. I think you should forget the PB bullets and get some good gas checked bullets. Check out what this place has available. They are excellent bullets and service has been great for me. I would order the bullets oversized to .310 or .311. The blunt nosed 149 gr gas checked bullet should be superb in a 30/30 IMHO.

http://www.proshootpro.com/freebullets.htm

[ 08-07-2003, 05:34: Message edited by: Pecos45 ]

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Max 503,
As you know you will have to find a used 311241 155 gr PB or a 311264 154 gr PB. I don't use fillers. I use Red Dot and Unique for my PB loads. I prefer however to use GC bullets normally. I use a Lyman M die to open up the case neck. I use WW's for all my bullets and add about 1-2% more tin for the ones going over 2000 FPS. Orygun

Posts: 210 | Location: Willamette Valley | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote