New
Find
Notify
Tools

Copper/Bronze paint patching?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was repairing some broken rear window defroster strips recently using a small vial of copper powder suspended in clear lacquer sold for that purpose. The idea occurred to me, that if applied to a cast bullet, could a similar coating serve as a metallic paint patch or ablation shield? Copper and bronze powders are sold in hobby stores for craft projects and could be mixed with a small percentage of lacquer to act as a binder and adhesive. Has this been tried before?

Posts: 3684 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use it to bronze skulls and I would not advise as a patch. the lacquer/polymer binders would foul you weapons bore very quickly and possible raise pressures to dangerous levels depending on your loads

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Well I don't know about copper/bronze but I do know that several companies sold lube's that were applied as paint to cast bullets in the past. Several are using it for commercial bullet sales now - Billy bullets here in Arizona uses Molly-Kote but others use polymer paint type lube
http://ammo.dynamic-arms.com/