New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rough bore and cast bullets?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Got some tough news on the Mosin M39. The rifle on the outside is 98%. In fact 3/4 of the bore is 98%, however the last 8" shows some rust pitting. Got everything scrubbed out ok (found 0 jacket fouling??)but I'm getting kind of depressed over the pitting at the muzzel. What do you think the long term impact will be for shooting cast bullets? Thanks, Bill.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Got some tough news on the Mosin M39. The rifle on the outside is 98%. In fact 3/4 of the bore is 98%, however the last 8" shows some rust pitting. Got everything scrubbed out ok (found 0 jacket fouling??)but I'm getting kind of depressed over the pitting at the muzzel. What do you think the long term impact will be for shooting cast bullets? Thanks, Bill.

If it's not jacket fouling I think you might be ok. Easy ways to polish the last run if it leads too.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
bill, try it first. I have a 6.5 Swedish that has pits in the whole barrel. It shoots real good. The original barrel was worse and I found one for $20 so I replaced it. Did it myself and headspaced it using masking tape on the head of the shell. There are still pits, but it will hold 1/2" at 100 yds with any condom bullet and almost as good with cast. I just have to clean it good after shooting.
The only thing you want to check is if the bore is worn way oversize. Slug it and fit a boolit to what you get.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Don't give up without trying it. The best shooting cast bullet gun I ever had had what I thought was a hopeless bore. Dark and with some pitting, and the lands were some rounded. I tryed it for the hell of it and the darn thing shot SUPER. I'm talking about a witnessed 13/4" 5 shot group from the bench with Military Iron sights at 100yds. From a KAR88 carbine! Offhand groups at 25 yards 5/8 " c-c.
I just won't bet anymore on what will or won't shoot. I traded off this rifle for an 88 with a mint bore and still haven't gotten as good a group.

Posts: 16 | Location: Bloomfield Nebraska | Registered: 05 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shoot it before you freak out, I have a 98 krag carbine that is pitted like all get out, but shoots 2-3 inch 100 yard groups with cast bullets and the crummy sights that the rifle has. I also have a trapdoor that is similar, but the barrel isn't pitted as bad as the Krag and it will shoot right along side the Krag.

regards,
Graycg

Posts: 692 | Location: Fairfax County Virginia | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post

Hi Bill,

Slug the bore and get a cast bullet that fits properly and then try shooting it. I found an o313 that had huge pits in the bore. The gunshop owner let me buy it on approval, and gave me the right to bring it back if it didnt shoot to my satisfaction. I have been shooting cast bullets in it at local military rifle matches and doing quite well with it. Good luck! Joe S

Posts: 22 | Location: Badger State | Registered: 25 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
I've got two Mauser 98s. One was actually made by Mauser(byf) and the other was made by BRNO. Both have barrels that look rough as cobbs from the manufacturing. There's no rust pits etc in the barrel just rough looking.
To my knowledge these rifles have not fired military ammo since WWII and just a small amount of Remington/Winchester since.
What's your guess on how well these rifles will shoot cast bullets?
Jim

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I've got two Mauser 98s. One was actually made by Mauser(byf) and the other was made by BRNO. Both have barrels that look rough as cobbs from the manufacturing. There's no rust pits etc in the barrel just rough looking.
To my knowledge these rifles have not fired military ammo since WWII and just a small amount of Remington/Winchester since.
What's your guess on how well these rifles will shoot cast bullets?
Jim

Jim I'd sure give them a try-- only way to know. Been my experience that how they look means little. And polishing them up some is simple..

Posts: 1529 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote