New
Find
Notify
Tools

.45-70 Throater Passaround
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Here we go again. I just ordered a 1.5 degree .458 throater from Dave Manson. Should have it in a couple of weeks. This is said to improve cast bullet shooting in .45-70s. I dunno, never tried it, but I'm about to.

If you want in, it's $10 a chamber and postage to the next guy in line. EMail or PM me to get on the list

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Detales please. What kind of alignment system? I assume from the chamber end?

1.5 degree is about .125" from 458 down to 450-- figuring a linear run?

Posts: 1529 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's Manson's stock 1.5 degree .458 throater and it's piloted. I assume it's close to a slide fit in the chamber as tolerances will allow. I'm figgering on running it in 1/8" from the the existing throat, such as it is.

I ain't one to go to great lengths for dead solid perfect when "a whole lot better" is easily reachable.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Count me in!

Posts: 4231 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have a Clymer 45 cal throater and have used it on several 45-70's, It is easy to use if you go slow. Had very good results.

one of us
posted Hide Post
12FLVSS's posting about shooting the Buff rethroated underlines some issues per recutting 45/70 throats. The first is the addition of combustion area-- or in effect changing the expansion ration, on a cartridge where the capacity is already in excess for most of us. I have noted doing 4759 trials that the ES's slowly climbed as the OAL went out another .2". Then you have at least another lube groove hanging out, which does not bother a target shooter like me but maybe some. That increase in ES's likely a consideration only for LR targeting too.

But what I have found in extensive trials shooten the 45/70 BC is the bullet's forward dia and shape can compensate for non throated barrels of the caliber. A gradual tapered bullet produced by forward sizing in a Lee 452 die is the most accurate-- producing driver dia's of 4515, 454, 457+ with the rear unsized at 459+. The Applegate 525 spitzer is nearly as accurate as it drops from the mold, having a tapered bore rider which blends into the front driver. IMO the best targeting heavywt out there.

Boils to this: if forward alignment is accomplished with a bore rider fitting the land tops your bullet is centered for practical purposes. [which I can't having a bore of 4515]. I lapped the Lee 340 out to engrave and it shoots very good now.

If you size the front driver to start into the land origin-- where the engraving marks are clearly seen on the extracted rd, alignment is normally fine for good accuracy. But rethroating for cast shooten still requires your as cast or as sized slug enters the new throat and leade.

If I was going to rethroat a 45/70 barrel I'd want only the land origin clipped to that 1.5 degree angle-- and very little or no length to the ball seat added.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

If I was going to rethroat a 45/70 barrel I'd want only the land origin clipped to that 1.5 degree angle-- and very little or no length to the ball seat added.

That's pretty much my intent, Aladin. Best I can figger, the reamer is gonna have to go in just under 1/8" to get the 1.5 degree leade. With the shallow Handi rifling, maybe I can trim that to .100". What kinda figger did you have in mind?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd like to try this on a 45-70.

Tell me about the reamer, though -- is it a pull-through, or am I gonna have to remove the barrel on my Martini action? How long is the reamer?

Also, why the postage to the previous guy? As each ships the reamer to the next guy in line, he's repaying the postage when it was shipped to him. Or is my "chain letter sense" off?

Sorry for the dumb questions.

Posts: 300 | Location: W. New Mexico | Registered: 28 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Quote:

That's pretty much my intent, Aladin. Best I can figger, the reamer is gonna have to go in just under 1/8" to get the 1.5 degree leade. With the shallow Handi rifling, maybe I can trim that to .100". What kinda figger did you have in mind?

I think you could get the 1.5 degree effect on the rifling w/o adding any ballseat length. Usually the ballseat already cut in the 45/70 is short, maybe .050" or so. But it's usually a couple thou over groove dia. A .458 throater is cutting just that, a figure the same as most groove dia's. If your bullet's first band is 458 or less it'll slide in there.

Understand my thinking and previous remarks are in context of a singleshot target 45/70 with ww alloy bullets. Your mileage may well vary using the orange ones or using powders which create higher loading densities.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Aladin, I think we using different words to say the same thing. My intent is to only run the reamer in far enough to get a full cut with the 1.5 degree leade.

Grumble, either I was unclear or you misunderstood. The deal is that you do your job, send me $10 and pay the postage to the next stop. I eat the postage out to the first guy in the chain. I'm gonna try to package the reamer, a tee handle and some cutting oil so everything can travel in a flat rate Priority Mail envelope for $3.85.

This reamer is operated from the chamber end and should be six or seven inches long. You'd have to pull your barrel to do a Martini. Anyone who wants to do a lever or a bolt without pulling the barrel is gonna have to come up with his own extension.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Exactly the info I needed, dj. Thanks for the answer.

I'll be in for the deal. I dunno how you're setting up the logistics of the pass-around, but if needed, I'm grumble222@yahoo.com.

Thanks for doing this!

Posts: 300 | Location: W. New Mexico | Registered: 28 December 2002Reply With Quote