New
Find
Notify
Tools

.45 LC bullets
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anyone know of a source for good cast bullets for .452? My Blackhawk seems to prefer a lighter bullet. I am looking for a Keith style bullet of about 225 gr. Thanks

Posts: 188 | Location: Gillette, WY 82717 | Registered: 30 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am not sure I understand that a Blackhawk prefers lighter boolits! This has not been my experience from shooting the Blackhawks from 1956 to the present day. I find that the 240 gr is the lightest to shoot and now shoot 320 gr boolits. The 240 gr XTP is super accurate for silhouette or target but I like a heavier bullet like the 300 gr XTP for hunting. For a cast, anything from 250 grs to 320 grs is best. I am talking sub 1" groups at 50 yd's.
I have never had a lighter bullet shoot good, the twist is wrong for the light stuff.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BeMan, If you wish, send me a PM. I have a couple of moulds with different configurations for the Colt, and one of them is ~215 grains. I may be able to cast something that will work for you. At very least, we can talk about it. Phone calls are pretty cheap...

(And FWIW, there is another member on here that was looking for a 240-gr Keith for the .44 Mag. After looking at what I had to offer, he ordered a thousand, and seemed to be happy with what I sent him...)

scotstephens@sbcglobal.net

Regards,
Scot

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
try mount baldy bullets i think frank casts one.http://www.mtbaldybullets.com/

Posts: 1404 | Location: munising MI USA | Registered: 29 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
I have had good results with the following:
270 gr Leadheads Keith style Taylor KO 22.15
19.5 gr 2400
WLP primer
1270 fps

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My thanks to everyone on the suggestions. I will continue to try the heavier bullets and with additional powder variations. At present, I have tried 2400, Blue Dot, 5744, Unique, and AA#9. AA#9 is a keeper with the 220-230 gr bullet weights. Blue Dot and 300 gr XTP's are outstanding in my .45 Colt lever gun, but horrible in the handgun. I have tried , 255, 260, and 300 gr bullets (cast and jacketed) with all the above powders without success. I have ordered some 215 gr hard cast and have bought some H110 to try. I will keep at it.

Posts: 188 | Location: Gillette, WY 82717 | Registered: 30 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OOPS, old age is catching up! I was talking about a .44 and you said .452. I do find the 335 gr LBT very accurate in my .45 Vaquero out to 100 yd's so I think the same holds true for the .45. The 250 gr boolits shoot very good also but not quite as tight. It seems as if every handgun benefits from a heavier boolit, at least that is my experience.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of C. A. Plater
posted Hide Post
My .45 Bisley shows a marked preference for 14.0 grains of Blue Dot under a Leadhead 310 gr. WFN. IIRC it produces about 1100fps range from the long barrel.

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -- Thomas Jefferson
http://tcbunch.com

Posts: 181 | Location: Huntsville, Alabama | Registered: 21 July 2003Reply With Quote