Find
Notify
Tools

416 RMag Expander Die
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted
Hi guys!! I finally scrounged up some 350 Cast/ gas checks from Western Cast Bullets, and am needing a neck expander die. Does anyone have any experience with this caliber? Is RCBS' #39835 expander die the right one?

Oh yeah. Any load tips? I'm looking at AA 5744 and IMR 4759, primarily.

Thanx,

R-WEST

[ 09-22-2003, 22:29: Message edited by: R-WEST ]

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
R-West, sir;

My own experience is with the .416 Rigby, but I think some of it will relate to the Remington case too.

For neck belling, I just use the expander die from my .41 Magnum die set. It has to be done by "feel", not with a full stroke of the press-handle, but it's very simple to do. If you happen to be another lucky soul shooting the .41, try this. A simple tapered punch will also work.

I've had pretty decent results with XMP 5744 in the Rigby with the 365-grain RCBS .416 design. Great bullet, in my book! Loads have ranged from as low as 40.0 grains 5744 up to at least 52.0, and if you start out in the Remington at the lower figure you will be amply safe, with loads of room to increase the charge. 46.0 grains gave me 1827 fps average, for example, and 52.0 runs over 2000 fps. A LOOSE tuft of dacron seems to help the consistency in the Rigby case.

I'd like to try 4759 myself, once I find some of the stuff. I had VERY encouraging results just last week with some IMR 4198 loads, also with dacron. Nine rounds in a ragged under-one-inch hole from fifty yards seems to indicate some more research is justified. Several five-shot groups in the half-inch area with differing loads of 4198 also hold promise. These loads started at 40.0 grains and went to 48.0 with low pressure, so again, the 40.0 level will be safe in the .416 Remington and can be worked up from there.

If you'd like to try some of my RCBS .416 boolits, let me know and I'll send you some (no charge, of course). The ones you have coming from Western may well be from this RCBS design...?? I recommend it highly. My Ruger #1 simply loves it!

Regards from BruceB

Posts: 437 | Location: nevada | Registered: 01 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
Yes, the bullets are from the RCBS mould. I think I have a tapered punch that will work - thanx for the idea.

Do you cast bullets? I'd much prefer doing business with an AR compatriot. Send me an e-mail: rlw@easternelevator.com

I've used 4759 a good bit in the 338 WMag, and haven't really worked that much with 5744, yet, but it'll get a workout in the 416 for sure. Finding 4759 is pretty hit/miss. I lucked into a 5# container at a local gun shop some years ago, and scarfed it up.

Graf's shows it in their catalog, so you might try there.

R-WEST

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote