Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Filler Mtrl. for reduced loads
 Login/Join

posted
I was going to start using a reduced load in my 257 WBY per the Speer manual, but have been hearing that a filler wad should be used and there is some disagreement in other forums about what should be used - any hard and fast rules here?
The manual says nothing about a filler wad and it is a small charge of powder in a large case.

Thanx for any inputs.

Posts: 24 | Location: Washburn, ND | Registered: 13 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I was going to start using a reduced load in my 257 WBY per the Speer manual, but have been hearing that a filler wad should be used and there is some disagreement in other forums about what should be used - any hard and fast rules here?
The manual says nothing about a filler wad and it is a small charge of powder in a large case.

Thanx for any inputs.

Alot of shooters use one of two materials: Dacron and Kapok. The Dacron you can find at fabric stores or sewing centers. It's usually used as a batting or filler for like quilts for example. Kapok you use to be able to salvage from lifejackets but they don't use it anymore. It can be found on the internet. Neither are expensive. If you do use them make sure you DON'T wad them up nor pack them in there tight. You also don't want a wad of it over the powder and nothing between it and the bullet. What you want to do is spread the material between the top of the powder and the base of the bullet. Both material are very fiberous. Dacron is more springy and fills the empty space somewhat better. If when using maximum cast loads you will want to reduce your load as they raise pressure slightly. Do not use with jacketed loads.
Joe