Find
Notify
Tools

Lyman 358156
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone use this bullet?

Posts: 46 | Location: The Hardwoods | Registered: 19 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anyone one that hasn't probably has yet to get a 357 Mag. or doesn't load their 38 Sp.to Jeff Coopera standards.. Nate

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What are you loading these with Nate & what are you shooting them in?

Posts: 46 | Location: The Hardwoods | Registered: 19 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In a word, no. I have never used that bullet. For one thing, there is no real reason for a gas check on a revolver bullet, assuming the projectile is the proper alloy and fits the bore. Gas checks are not necessary, typically speaking, for handgun projectiles, as they aren't driven fast enough.

But whether or not I have ever loaded that bullet has no bearing whatsoever on the quality of that particular design. It is one of Lyman's better ones, and is an exquisite bullet in the right application. But the gas check is really unnecessary, and just adds cost to the projectile, IMHO.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tend to agree about the gas checks & I also agree that this bullet is a very good design. Mr. Skelton used this bullet for years in his N-Framed S&W sixguns. He loved it & that's surely high praise from a man Bill Jordan said was the best offhand shot he'd ever witnessed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
LAH, anything you can do with that bullet you can do with the Lyman 358429, their 173-grain Keith plain base design. It will hit just a bit harder, and will hold together a bit better because it is heavier.

The Hensley and Gibbs #43 is another wonderful design as well.

In short, there are a LOT of good 38/357 projectiles that will do it with aplomb!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
LAH: nowadays we all KNOW that the oldtime gunwriters were just a bunch of shills for gun and related manufacturers..How many FREE gas checks do you surmise Skeeters endorsement might have been worth back then..??? Now we have the internet to reveal all truth... Nate

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Was a time when gas checks were cheap and I used them. Then they started making them out of 24K, I guess that's what it is from the price. Started shooting some, even at higher velocities without gas checks and I've about decided they are a waste at ANY velocity. If I ever buy another mold, I'll opt for a non gas check model.

Posts: 3808 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PaulS
posted Hide Post
That is the "standard" Keith style bullet for the 357/38. If the lead is hard enough and it fits the groove diameter I agree that the gas check is an addition for looks and confidence only.

I have shot swaged lead 148 grain HBWC loaded backwards with a gas check after trying it without the gas check and having to clean the lead out of my barrel. The backwards loaded HBWC demonstrated the "hydraulic" effect of the 357 mag at 1550 fps when fired into plastic water jugs but had no practical use due to a complete lack of penetration and total fragmentation. I have been using a 140 JHP for years in mine and I get 1640 fps with plenty of penetration and good expansion in my Fackler box testing. The load is extremely accurate out to 100 yards and it is all I carry anymore.

Speer, Sierra, Lyman, Hornady, Hodgdon have reliable reloading data. You won't find it on so and so's web page.

Posts: 639 | Location: SE WA.  | Registered: 05 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
That is the "standard" Keith style bullet for the 357/38

Uh, I am not so sure. Elmer was a big heavy for caliber devotee. The Lyman 358429 is their answer to the Keith bullet in 38/357...

If you are talking about the 158-grain bullet as the "standard", maybe so. But again: Keith wanted heavy for caliber. Research the history of the Hensley and Gibbs #43...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hensley and Gibbs #43

http://hgmould.gunloads.com/casting/hgmoldchart.htm

http://hgmould.gunloads.com/molds/43.jpg

The one I cast is the Lyman version @ 170 grains.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What you have is an original Keith design from Lyman, complete with square grease groove, as Elmer originally required. Hang on to that mould!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doubless:
What you have is an original Keith design from Lyman, complete with square grease groove, as Elmer originally required. Hang on to that mould!!!

I wouldn't call it exactly but it is close.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
LAH: nowadays we all KNOW that the oldtime gunwriters were just a bunch of shills for gun and related manufacturers..How many FREE gas checks do you surmise Skeeters endorsement might have been worth back then..??? Now we have the internet to reveal all truth... Nate

I've come back here & read this several times & I'm not sure if you are joking or serious? Are you saying Mr. Skelton could be swayed in his writing by free gas checks?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
358156 is Thompson designed not a Keith. I think that is what he is claiming and does not realize the cost of checks then was so minimal it would not sway anything. Skeeter shot a soft alloy and perhaps needed the checks. When they were 4 for a penny no one much bothered with their cost.

Posts: 183 | Location: SW Montana | Registered: 22 November 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Yes, I've killed several deer with the 358156. My preference these days is the 358429, but still a good bullet.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
LAH44, Would you have access to a dim. drawing of the 358156 like the 358429, or direct me to one who does?
Thanks,

Posts: 42 | Location: Southeast US | Registered: 21 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I haven't a bullet blueprint for the 358156. The ones I have were given me by a very nice lady at Lyman

Picture of 358156hp
posted Hide Post
Perhaps my favorite production mold design! I have several copies, including a battered old Ideal hollowpoint mold. If you I only have one mold....