Find
Notify
Tools

375 cal 280 gr cast bullet for moose ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Exit31
posted
Has someone here shot a moose with a cast bullet load in a 375H&H? I'm thinking the Lyman 2660449 mold for the 375, which comes out 282 grains with gas check ( wheel weights and lynotype mix) for me at 2000-2200 fps.

I don't what the moose to go very far after being shot. 1) Will a heart lung shot from this bullet put a moose down quickly? 2. How about a base of the neck shoulder shot? 3. If I take a raking shot, will this bullet do the job??

The terrain where I'm going is rugged with high and low, and I don't what the moose ending up in a bottom after being shot.

Some already done this? or something similar? What was your experience?

Why shall there not be patient confidence in the ultimate justice of the people? Is there any better or equal hope in the world? Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 599 | Location: Canada, NS | Registered: 19 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of johnch
posted Hide Post
I have never gotten the chance to hunt Moose

But I have put a number 2000 lb of steers on the ground with a 308 using a GC'ed 200 gr cast bullet out of Softer lead nose and a WW base water droped

I shoot them through the lungs , but I don't have to put them down on top of a ridge
As I can normaly get almost everywhere with the front end loader to haul them out

Your load will shurely kill a moose
But IMO the only way to be sure they stay put is to either head shoot them
Or Break both front shoulders

I do shoot a fair number of deer with cast

I preferr a soft nose with a harder base
I find 1/4 to 1/3 of total bullet weight to work perfictly for the soft nose

I cast a soft nose out of 2 parts pure lead / 1 part WW
1 - 1 might work better for you
And a harder base

I pour the soft into the mold using a dipper ( like a cut off 9mm case )
Let it just harden and then pour in the rest for the base

John

NRA life
Delta
Pheasants Forever
DU
Hunt as if your life depended on your results

Posts: 591 | Location: NW ,Ohio 10 Min from Ottawa NWR | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Exit31
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info Johnch. Much appreciated.

Why shall there not be patient confidence in the ultimate justice of the people? Is there any better or equal hope in the world? Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 599 | Location: Canada, NS | Registered: 19 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use Lyman's 375449 cast of WW/lead at 50/50 loaded to 2200 fps in my M70 375 H&H for hunting. I use that alloy for good expansion, penetration and terminal performance. I have not shot a moose with it but I have shot an elk with it. Both shoulders, through and through, elk DRT. I would not hesitate to hunt moose with it.

Larry Gibson

Posts: 1489 | Location: University Place, WA | Registered: 18 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There were two articles, actually a two part series on Cast Bullets in Africa that was in an issue of the American Rifleman and reprinted ina book containing all the articles having to so with bullet casting in general.
Thw fit=starticle in the series had to do with the load work up and experimentation while the second article focused on the hunt. Heaviest animal shot was a Cape Buffalo as I recall. The only problem I recall them having was the bullets were seated to tough the rifling and sometimes would stick and be pulled out dumping the powder into the action. Solution, use a tighter crimp. I have used the RCBS #37-250-FN bullet which closely resembles the Lyman #357449 and in wheel weight metal weighs 270 gr. I've had excellent results with 49.0 IMR-4895, Winchester brass and primer and a one grain tuft of dacron against the powder charge to keep it next to the primer. My bullet is seated to slightly engage the rifling in my Ruger #1 tropical and it certainly much more accurate than minute of Moose with group Average being about 1.25". I never did run them over a chronograph but I wouldn't wworry on something as big as moose at 100 yards. Taht bullet might shoot clean through on a broadside shot.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Exit31
posted Hide Post
Thanks again. I will try more load developement soon for my rifle. So far I have tried 4064 with my cast bullet, it was only so so...

Also I think I will need to change my alloy.

If I could get my moose with my own bullet and my own load what a blast! By the way I was draw for a moose tag after many, many yrs trying to get one. I also have reloaded my own cast for many yrs.

Again thanks.

One of Us
Picture of Exit31
posted Hide Post
Report on load. I have settled on 49 grs 4895, no filler. Plenty accurate. I have been practicing with them for a while. I am more than happy. Mix is 1/3 lyno. and 2/3 WW.

I plan to test shoot tru a metal barrel with water jugs, plywood and cardboard inside sometime this week.

Hunting trip is next week. I have 300gr nosler's with 66grs of 4064 as backups--for shots over 100yrds.