New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Seating cast bullets straight.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Upon further obervation, it appears that I am merely engaging the rifling with the nose of the bullet. The scrape is from the feed ramp. The nose of the bullet is .330, so I thought it would not engage the rifling, but it does slightly. Seating a bit deeper will solve the problem I guess, but I was hoping to get the bottom of the bullet to be completely in the neck instead of down in the case. Thanks for the replies.

Ranb

Posts: 803 | Location: WA, USA | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
But with a cast bullet engaging the rifling is a good
thing.

Posts: 112 | Location: Bonetown,South Dakota | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I finally got the gas checks and Lee custom sizer die. The ram for the the die seems to be too narrow, it is only .324" The bullets come through the die with a ridge on the outside of the gas checks. I will be making a a new ram on my lathe that is 0.001" smaller than die ID. The Hornady gas checks seem to be very flimsy/soft.

Ranb

Posts: 803 | Location: WA, USA | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Make a ram that the boolit nose will go into so you can run the boolits through the sizer base first to seat the gas checks. Drill out the ram, start a boolit in the sizer upside down so that you do not deform the nose, put epoxy in the ram and raise it until the nose is into the epoxy. Make sure you grease or wax the boolit nose first. Clean up the excess plastic when it gets hard and size those thangs.
Hornady checks are fine.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lee sizing dies seat gas checks just fine for me as long as the bullet's as-cast diameter is more than .001" larger than the die's diameter. Otherwise seat the gas check by hand and then size. Place the gas check on a solid surface, insert the bullet base, then tap gently on the nose with a rubber hammer.

Posts: 108 | Location: Northcentral Louisiana | Registered: 06 February 2004Reply With Quote