New
Find
Notify
Tools

Serious question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Pack of coyotes came through the property the other day, and were bout to attack my 2 pups.

I ran into the house and looked at a rack of rifles. All of my Lever guns were being worked up for cast loads, so I had no effective ammo ready. And since they were in the middle of being worked up for cast loads, factory ammo was out of the question because the sights would have been way off.

My 3006 bolts... the same thing. Out of Factory ammo for a few other bolts, and what was left was my trusty old 870 12ga Wingmaster, and that's what I grabbed as it was ready with 00 buck.

I wanted to grab one of my Levers. It dawned on me the predicament I found myself in was not good. Here we have all this stuff for casting and reloading, but if it's in the search stage for the "great load", like in my case they were pretty much dead in the water.

By the time I got back out there, they were gone.

How do you experienced guys prepare for such a situation?, and how do you deal with having arms that are being worked up for cast loads, but if finding you had to come up with some ammo quick, like factory ammo, what would you shoot it with?

Also, how do you balance shooting cast loads and condom boolits?.. or once you find an accurate cast load, do you stop shooting condom bullets all together for that firearm?

one of us
posted Hide Post
ml,
Currently I'm in 'inner city', and the coyotes around here are of the two legged variety. It's important to have something handy,,,,, which it is. I developed some handloads, loaded up a bunch, and have an extra magazine with the piece.
My summer abode is very different,,,,,, but same rule applies, though more for a chance at some of the local wildlife, very tasty.
Pick a rifle, get a load that shoots, and then have it available at short notice. Sounds like you've got too many projects on the go,,,,,, takes one to know one, .
Cheers,
R*2

Posts: 129 | Location: NorthEast | Registered: 20 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
marlinlover--My answer would be my constant companion, 1911. If a "varmit" is out of range for it then most likely it's not a threat. If the situation allowed, a quick trip inside to snatch up an always ready FAL and factory ammo kept for "social purposes" only.

Just dedicate one weapon as your "go to" gun and leave it sighted with your choosen ammo while the others are in the process of load developement. This may put ya in the situation of having to get another gun, just another sacrifice for your hobby.

jim

Posts: 35 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I always keep one pistol and one rifle out of the safe loaded and handy, but not in sight. When the grand kids are over they guns go in a place that's a little harder for me to get to, but still available.

Posts: 363 | Location: Missouri Ozarks, USA | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote