THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CAST BULLET FORUM

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: What's these Ideal molds worth...........?
 Login/Join

Picture of Paul H
posted
Quote:

Unless being a collecters item, I don't see a use for the old molds. If they had sold good and shot good, they would not be dicontinued. There are too many better boolit designs out there to pay that much for a mold. Besides it would be better to have a custom mold made for whatever boolit anyone would want.

Considering how well the 358009 works in my 350 Rigby, I would certainly not make the conclusion that the mold was discontinued because it didn't work well. After having had the Bator 358 260 mold, I'd also say that this isn't an equivalent better modern mold out there. I think there has been a tendancy to discontinue some old molds simply because they were old designs, not because they didn't work well. Sadly it is only after these many molds have been discontinued that casting has become a more popular past time, and the demand for such designs has increased.

But, in terms of a generic used Lyman mold $25-30 seems reasonable for a two cavity mold in good condition.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
bfrshooter,
I think it was more of a business decision to discontinue these moulds. I think the craftsmen that used to make them retired and productiond costs got too high. They make the devastators but they aren't as accurate as the older HP's. Lee still sells a lot of HP moulds but they used a different approach to making them.
As I have HP'd some moulds they are time consuming to do it the Lyman way. The c-clip attachment for the HP pin was another Lyman goof in my opinion. Sure it was quicker but doesn't hold up as well.
JT, my list of sharks is a medium size list.

Posts: 210 | Location: Willamette Valley | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote