New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nose sizing question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Tell me how you go about sizing the nose of a bullet and who makes dies/equipment to do this?

Posts: 263 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 66 | Location: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: 19 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No Lewis..That won't cut it! I know about the Hanned stuff. I am not talking about sizing the bullet nose first. I am talking about just sizing the nose of the bullet, not the body. In an ideal situation you can size the body of the bullet to fit the chamber throat and the bore riding nose to just lightly engrave on the rifling and ride on the lands fully supported. I am talking about a die to just size the nose.

Posts: 263 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would think you could nose size in a RCBS/Lyman lube-sizer, providing you have the right size die (from stillwell). It would also be desireable to have a nose punch that embraced the base of the bullet (from me, and maybe hanned, and others) Then push the bullet in the die just far enough to size the nose. For a spitzer bullet, the "I" pin would need to be countersunk so the nose wouldn't get squashed. For a blunt nose bullet, a standard "I" pin should work fine. I have never done this myself, but I bet someone reading this thread has.

Posts: 97 | Location: Pocatello, ID | Registered: 24 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chargar,
Corbin has something that might work. mountaingun has it right about having the right shape punch/pushrod to get the mould back out of the die. FN, RN & SWC aren't a problem. You also have to get the right size sizer die. There isn't a lot of oddball size ones floating around out there. It can be done but it takes a machinist to make the parts or lots of JB Weld/epoxy for the fixing the pushrod to work. Orygun

Posts: 210 | Location: Willamette Valley | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote