Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

9.3 or 9x57 Cartridge for Cast
 Login/Join

posted
I’ve been looking for a medium bore barrel to put on a M98 action that would be a good choice for both cast and jacketed based on the parent 57 cartridge, but bigger that the standard 7.92mm. On paper the 9.3 or 9x57 sounds like it should fit right nicely between the 358 Win and 35 Whelen. Going through the past pages (whew, 98 of ‘em) there are some here that are working with the 9 or 9.3mm cast bullets. I’m thinking a 22 to 24 inch tube in either 9mm (35 cal.) or 9.3 (.366) with a 14 twist for bullets 200 to 300 grains.

From you guys that shoot the 9.3x57 or 9x57, I’d like to hear anyone’s experiences in shooting cast with them. Anybody?

Nels

Posts: 20 | Location: Near Kansas City, Kansas | Registered: 22 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a good friend whom has a 9.3x57 and really loves it,but he wants to shoot cast bullets as you do.For standard loads do get your attention real quick. I am researching the entire world trying to find loads for cast bullets for this cartridge in the last 2 weeks and have only come up with 8 different loads as to date. really hard to find,and a lot of people like this cartridge,but ast bullet info is hard. van

Posts: 442 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 9.3x57 is an excellent cast bullet cartridge. I've been shooting mostly two designs from mountain moulds that are 270 and 300 grains. Both are flat nose and were intended for hunting, but do very well on paper. I don't recall the loads right off hand, but I know I tried IMR 3031 first off that worked so well I didn't try anthing else. I also have two of NEI's designs (which end up at 290 and 225 grains) but don't shoot them much.

Mine is built on a 98 mauser action with a very long throat. I seat the bullets to fit in the magazine. With either of the MM's bullets, with this seating the base of the bullet is notto the neck/shoulder juntion yet. With NEI's 335 gr I am at the the bottom of the neck.

Loading data is real hard to find. My plan was to start with starting loads for the 358 Winchester and work up - which is what I did with IMR 3031 with no problems.

Be aware moulds will be a custom job so you may wish to consider the 9x57 instead. But I like the 9.3x57.

Posts: 80 | Location: West Central WI | Registered: 02 March 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Good info. LW has chambered barrels in 9.3x57 with 1 in 14 twist that should be cast-friendly and easy 'smith work. The need for a long throat is a good point I need to look into further 'cause I bet most pre-chambered barrels are set up for normal jacketed bullet dimensions. The 9mm or 35 cal is appealing too in terms of bullet choices. Don't think I could go too wrong either way, long as I take into account what's needed for proper cast bullet seating.

Nels

Posts: 20 | Location: Near Kansas City, Kansas | Registered: 22 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think that I would go with the 9x57, and a 1 in 12" twist for the barrel. RCBS makes a couple of nice .35 caliber molds, the #35-200-FN and the #35-250-SP, the latter being a special order mold that is a tad pricey. I've shot both in the .358 Win. and .35 Whelen and they're good bullets. If you get lucky and find a Lyman #3589 or 358009 (same bullet, different numbers)that's a 280 gr. bullet in Lyman #2 metal Mine, in wwheel weight metal runs right at 270 gr. as does a David Mos copy of the bullet with a slight flat on the nose to give it a bit more hitting power on game.
Frankly, I don't think a 1 in 14" twist will work too well with 300 gr. bullets. My factory .358 Win. and .35 Whelens have 1 in 16" twists and they're marginal with the 250 gr. bullets and show signs of instability at 100 yards with the 270 gr. bullets. The Whelen(custom Mauser) has a 1 in 14" twist and is a little better with the heavy bullets as long as I keep the velocity up but accuracy is still not where I want it to be and stabiity is a tad marginal with the heaviest bullets.
FWIW, John Taylor in his book on African cartridges said that the 9x57 Mauser round gave 2150 FPS with a 245 gr. bullet. I think you could easily duplicate that with a cast bullet in the 250 gr. range. With a decently flat meplat, that would make one hell of a deer round, and maybe even elk in heavy cover.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I'd be real happy with an accurate 250 g bullet at 2100 fps. Smiler

Nels

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would suggest the 9,3x62 for a CB hunting rifle.
I recently purchased a 4-cavity GC NEI mould that casts two 260gr and two 304gr bullets. Think of it as a .366-06

JMHO

Rich
DRSS
9,3mm fan

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote