New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alox lube
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have been using alox lube for some time, eith good results. The problem is that I have 4 of 5 partially used bottles of lube that have become too thick to pour out of the container. What can I use to dilute the lube so that it will pour?
Mike

"An armed man is a citizen, an unarmed man is a slave", Ceasar

Posts: 211 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Put each of the containers in the microwave for about 35 seconds or so, depending on how much alox is left in them. The alox will thin to pouring point...

Just be careful and go slow. If you leave them in there for too long, the plastic will melt and you will have a mess!

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeN:
I have been using alox lube for some time, eith good results. The problem is that I have 4 of 5 partially used bottles of lube that have become too thick to pour out of the container. What can I use to dilute the lube so that it will pour?
Mike

Mineral spirits.

It is a good citizen's duty to love the country and hate the gubmint.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
Lighter fluid will work also to get the liguid aloxout of the bottle. BTW you can use the thinned alox very successfully in most applications and make it go farther too. Guesstimate the thinning % by coating density appearance in the liquid state. Run your own tests.

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you" G. ned ludd

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tried using mineral spirits (paint thinner) once and it took forever to dry.

If the need arises again, I'll try acetone. I've heard alcohol works well, too.

Posts: 1095 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Acetone will eat up the plastic bottle. You can use the thinned lube as is.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nah!

Just fill your sink, or a bucket full of real hot water. Squeeze most of the air out of the bottles and toss them in for half hour or so til the stuff has melted.
Then pour into another single bottle. Works for me that way.

Best stuff made for bullet lube far as I'm concerned. Sure lasts a long time.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5944 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Warm cooking oil. Works great with beeswax too..

Posts: 10138 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Jon H.
posted Hide Post
My best luck has been with lighter fluid or naptha from the hardware store. I tried alcohol and it turned into a gummy mess. Paint thinner works well, but takes a looong time to dry. I usually mix my lube with 1/4 amount of naptha or thinner. Jon H

if it doesn't fit, get a bigger hammer

Posts: 14 | Location: somewhere in Arizona.... | Registered: 19 June 2006Reply With Quote