Find
Notify
Tools

.45 Colt 310grn GC LRNFP advice
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hey there all,

I have been playing around with my old Ruger again....and as the subject suggests I am using a 310 grn bullet. Data I have lists some pretty "hot" loads with H110. Recoil is more than I care to shoot regularly with 21.2grns as a starting load (no high pressure signs - big bruise on the hand and 1245 fps). Anyway - I am searching for a more milder alternative with IMR-4227, Unique, or any other suitable powder that doesn't have issue with going below minimum. I can't seem to find a straight out listing for Unique (have lots on hand) for that heavy of a bullet. I have played with 6.2 grns as starting load and the velocity was around 550 fps out of my 7 1/2"bbl. Much too slow for my needs. I was hoping to reach near 900 to 1000 fps as a target max velocity. When I extrapolate out some data for a 285 grn lead bullet I get a max charge of 8.2 grns of Unique for the 310grn bullet with roughly 900 fps as the velocity. Does this sound reasonbable to you all? Or does anyone have some useful data for the heavy slugs and the Ruger Blackhawk - namely Unique powder. Much thanks in advance!
Eric

Posts: 62 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Eric,
From my T/C load book for Ruger and T/C only:
300 gr 9.5-10.5 gr Unique
325 gr 8.5-10.0 gr Unique
They also list a load for 2400. Where the data is for jacketed bullets it will say JSP or such.
Orygun

Posts: 210 | Location: Willamette Valley | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Much thanks for the info....
Then my 8.2 grns is pretty light by comparison to your manual. This makes me feel better and gives me some wiggle room for experimenting.
Thanks!
Eric

Posts: 62 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Eric...You need to hit Hodgdon's site and download the 45 Colt Loads for the heavyweights.

I use Lil Gun with a 325 grainer and love it. Plenty of good heavyweight data on there....for Hodgdon powder naturally./beagle

Posts: 234 | Location: Lexington, Ky,USA | Registered: 26 January 2001Reply With Quote