Find
Notify
Tools

Bullets for .416
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of WyoJoe
posted
Has any one here used cast bullets in the .416 Rem? What was your experiences like?

Posts: 1172 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My experience is with the .416 Rigby in a Ruger #1H, but I believe the Remington version of the .416 will be very similar and probably easier to get good results with, due to less case capacity.

The only .416 mould I've used is the RCBS 416-350, which casts an excellent 365-grain bullet in my wheelweight alloy.

In the .416 Remington, a starting load of about 40 grains of XMP 5744 will give a velocity in the 1700-plus area, and will allow plenty of room for increasing the charge. In the RIGBY, repeat RIGBY, I've taken the bullet to over 2000 fps without excessive pressure with 5744, and beyond that point have switched to IMR 4198 for moderate loads.

Full power loads in my rifle uses IMR4831, and I expect that 4350 would do just as well. In the Rigby, the RCBS bullet still gives fine accuracy at over 2600 fps, if the shooter can control the rifle.

In all the lighter loads, say under about two-thirds of total case capacity, I use a LOOSE dacron (polyester) filler to keep the powder against the primer. I often get single-digit readings for extreme spread and standard deviation, using this method of loading.

I highly recommend the RCBS .416 bullet. It has decent weight, a good design for hunting with a nice moderate flat nose, and the potential for great accuracy. My mould casts at about .4165", and is barely touched by the RCBS .417" sizing die.

Regards from BruceB (aka Bren Mk1)

Posts: 437 | Location: nevada | Registered: 01 March 2003Reply With Quote