Find
Notify
Tools

CAST LEAD .620 CAL BULLETS
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of FOOBAR
posted
Anyone know of ANYONE who can cast me some 600 +/- 100 gr, 0.620" hard cast bullets???

I'm doing a 615(620) HELLBOY EXPRESS and would like to get a jump ahead of Steve B doing a mould block for me. I will be turning some brass stock bullets also.

Or...something other than 900 gr Woodleigh or Barnes 600 NE bullets.

Doesn't seem to be a whole lot of .620 bullets out there loose. Frowner Mad

Thanks

Luck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
beartooth bullets casts 1040gr .620 bullets for about a buck a peice. check out their website

Posts: 165 | Location: michigan | Registered: 06 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FOOBAR
posted Hide Post
Thanks...I've check Beartooth already and I will email Marshall to see if he has an adjustable mould block and can cast some in the 600 gr range.

Dixie Slugs has some 500 gr 20 ga Terminators. I guess I picked the wrong weight to go after.

I'm starting to think 650 gr, splitting the difference from 500 tp 800 gr might be my best bet for a Brooks mould block.

Then again I can get higher velo with the 500 gr which might give higher energy and for what I will be doing with it I will never shoot up the 400-450 slugs I can buy from the savings on NOT buying a bullet mould. Big Grin Confused Roll Eyes

My eyes have ALWAYS been bigger than my appetite....hahahahahah.

Thanks

Luck

One of Us
Picture of johnch
posted Hide Post
If you know about what you want
Have mountainmolds cut it for you

I have several of his moulds and love them
Not sure of the current lead time

But he dose good work

John

NRA life
Delta
Pheasants Forever
DU
Hunt as if your life depended on your results

Posts: 591 | Location: NW ,Ohio 10 Min from Ottawa NWR | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FOOBAR
posted Hide Post
Thanks John...I have emails out to 3 mould makers and I will add Mountain Moulds to the list.

Once I get this project moving and get some loads developed I might look into casting some bullets for this caliber for sale...not to make money, just for the cost of components and shipping. I've found bullets at 500 gr, Dixie Slugs, 900 gr, Woodleigh and Barnes, and 1040 gr at Beartooth, but none in the middle for practice in the different .620 cal rifles out there.

I KNOW there is someone who has a mould for 600 gr +/- out there somewhere...there are several 600 OK rifle and a bunch of 600 NE rifles that might like something a bit lighter than 900-1050 gr for plinking or lighter game...maybe?????? lol

Luck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Contact JR at Hunter's Supply. See who builds molds for him. Use whoever he suggests. I am about to close a deal on a 600 Overkill and I will be contacting him for advice on cast bullets. He has produced millions of cast bullets and I trust him implicitly.

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FOOBAR
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I tried but something went south when I tried the "hunting bullets" link. I will try again later...I have some of their 45 cal bullets.

I tried Mountain Moulds...they have a neat online bullet design feature...I worked up three truncated cone bullets, 600-650 and 700gr, then ran them through Load Disk.

It was a toss-up betweend the 650 and 700...the 650 had a little more velocity, but the 700 had more SD...think I will play with it some more.

Mountain Moulds has some very interesting "propaganda" about moulds...the aluminum moulds were the cheapest at $75. At that price and for what I'm doing I could afford a couple of different weight moulds. Big Grin

Luck

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of ~0.620 molds

This one is 1040 gr.

and

Which is about 650 gr. IIRC

John in Oregon

Posts: 938 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FOOBAR
posted Hide Post
John...Nice looking boolits...What brand of moulds?

The one I designed on the Mountain Moulds link looked like your top one...slightly shorter, no crimp groove and only 3 driving bands, equal bands/groove width. Also one with truncated nose instead of round nose.

Check it out.

The bottom one looks kinda like an old-timey mini-ball. Neat. Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 1040 gr. is a LBT and the bottom mold is a NEI 56 caliber paperpatch mold that was rebored.

John

John in Oregon

Posts: 938 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4982 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FOOBAR
posted Hide Post
Thanks Lamar...I checked but they aren't taking orders at this time.

I might have to find a "cheap" mould on Evilbay and do some reboring...if 30 odd someone's quit getting there first. Frowner Mad Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
PM me your address I will send you 30ish .622 700gr from my NEI mold. They are pure wheelweight and can be scratched by fingernail. I have not put the calipers to them to see their diameter, but they usually cast .622.

If you need harder ones I should be casting in a couple weeks some pure linotype and could send them to you.

Matthew

Posts: 383 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 29 May 2009Reply With Quote