New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rifle case mouth expanding
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
How do you guys do this for cast bullets?

I've started using the 60* deadcenter off my minilathe to open up 308 and 7.65 x 53 case mouths a bit but I still get shaved bullets about half the time, and pounding a dead center into a case does not qualify as precision reloading.

How is this typically done?

DT

Posts: 196 | Location: NC | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
A question for you. Do you want to purchase a case mouth flaring device or build on?
Lyman, RCBS both make nice case mouth flaring/ expanding dies.
The trick is a longish portion that expands the case neck then flares the case mouth.
Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I love building tools but I suppose I'm getting to the point where I have such a project back log that I better start buying things when possible.

If good rifle expanding dies are out there I should buy one - or I guess in my case two - one for 309 bullets and another for 312.

That being said, it might be generally instructive to discuss making these dies.

DT

one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
The Lyman 'M' die is the standard by which all others are judged. I've not purchased one in the past 20 some odd years but I'd guess the die would cost around $20.00.
Once you have the die body you can make the various expander stems. I believe that the die body fits all cartridges and the stem is the only variable.
I always get my die and polish the neck expander down to glass like smoothness and reduce the actual diameter for a tighter grip on the bullet body, while leaving the flaring part as the factory made it.
Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of johnch
posted Hide Post
I just bought a Lyman "M" 30 cal rifle die it was $14.99 from my gun shop.
I was using a typered expander ( 8mm for 30 cal) set to just expand the case mouth .
But a hassel ,bought the right too for the job.

Johnch

NRA life
Delta
Pheasants Forever
DU
Hunt as if your life depended on your results

Posts: 591 | Location: NW ,Ohio 10 Min from Ottawa NWR | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice guys. I've got a couple M dies on the way. They're $13 from Midway - I wish I could get them locally.

DT

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I use a tapered bridge reamer, something like $5 from a hardware store, and good from 17 up to 50 caliber. This is similar to VLD reamer. About 3 rotations by hand will cut a sufficient chamfer, and unlike the M die, once you do it, you're good for multiple reloadings.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote