THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CAST BULLET FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Cast Bullets    Making an Impact Slug of a Rifle Chamber/Throating

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Making an Impact Slug of a Rifle Chamber/Throating
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Rec'd a request to insert this posting over here. Done.

Take a well fireformed case NOT resized and fill it with ww alloy or harder to just below the shoulder/neck junction.

Your need a pure LEAD bullet with some length. This is what's being compressed to form your impression. [Gianni suggested using a lead wire. You can also readily make a slug by drilling a hole in wood, filling with pure lead and knocking it out]

Insert lead bullet litely lubed on the outside into the case and chamber the rd.

You need a rod just under groove dia.. the hardward store sells steel rods pretty cheap. Something a few inches longer that the barrel with faced off/square ends.

Wrap one end with a couple wraps of electrical tape or similar to make a nice fit to the grooves. This prevents the rod from going to the side or galling.

Take a piece of tissue paper or Kleenex and put a wad of around 1/2" comressed into the muzzle end. This compresses and cushions the action and prevents the rod from seizng on the end of the lead bullet.

Insert the wrapped end into the muzzle down to the lead slug-- now tap that rod with measured stokes with the buttstock on the floor--not hard... just even swings with little wrist action. Just enough to fully compress that lead slug. It'll bounce the same when the slug is compressed fully.

Open the action with care as NOT to deform the now impressed slug of your throat. That dab of lube will help.. I often leave the rod in the bore and as I open the action I litely poke the rod end on the wall to give it a boost. Easy does it as not to deform your impression.

The lead slug/bullet should neatly form to the dimensions of your throat and chamber origin and some of the rifling IF it's long enough. Reverse seating a bullet could give you can idea of how long a lead bullet to use IF the throat is very long. Most often their one caliber of length or less.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I obtain my 'slug' by casting a few appropriate caliber bullets from pure lead and then cut off the shank to my desired length...and this is my slug. Follow brother aladins instructions, they are perfectly correct.

Posts: 288 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 23 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Aladin:

Thanks; I was about to ask for a refresher on this, too. Sorta awkward to run Cerrosafe into a Mauser-type chamber, throat and leade without getting it wedged into locking lug recesses etc. floodgate

one of us
posted Hide Post
Fill a second case half way into the neck then file off the unfilled portion. Cut a slug in half crossways, insert in to chamber, insert case and set with rod per aladin's instructions. Now you have a true to form chamber neck slug.

Have a good day

Posts: 43 | Location: Okla. | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote