Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lyman 457125 and the 458
 Login/Join

posted
Anybody use the Lyman 457125 (Gov't) 500-520 RN in their 458? Just curious about loads and accuracy...

Posts: 36 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 06 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
wolfrum....My records show good accuracy with the 457125 in the 458 Win Mag and AA2015 powder in my Number 1 Ruger.

As with any of that series of bullets, you're fighting the smaller BP diameter nose which make accuracy suffer somewhat with smokeless.

If you can find one, the 462560 is the better bullet..at least in the Ruger. I've also had good luck with the 45-500-FN RCBS./beagle

Posts: 234 | Location: Lexington, Ky,USA | Registered: 26 January 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Beagle:

Well as luck would have it, I am also shooting a #1 Ruger, and while I have had pretty good results with the Lee 450 FN I really wanted something heavier without going to a gas-check design. I have not fired any of the Lyman 520s yet but I have noticed the smaller nose dia. you mentioned above. The Lee 450 will not start into the muzzle while the Lyman will go in clear to the first driving band. If I may reflect some ignorance, why is the "older BP" bullet designed this way? I'm not really familliar with the internal ballistics of smokeless versus black that might necessitate this difference, or were the groove diameters just different on the older rifles?

Anyway, thanks for your advice, and I have tried to get one of the old "thor hammer" Lyman moulds - I bid on one on Ebay several months ago, but it went for more than double my limit. I could have had a custom one cut for what that one went for...

thanks again

wolfrum1 [Cool]

Posts: 36 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 06 February 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
PS Beagle:

How far out did you seat the 457125? Any grease grooves showing?

thanks