Find
Notify
Tools

Shipping bullets to Europe
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted
Can we ship lead bullets (for no charge)to our European bretheren without facing jail time?

Posts: 4227 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Whenever I buy bullets from the u.s. the customs declaration referrs to them as "lead extrusions", this negates the meddling of various job's worths and other cretins.

Posts: 157 | Location: england | Registered: 03 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Label them as short fat tin (lead) soldiers. <GGG>

Posts: 363 | Location: Missouri Ozarks, USA | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The cost is prohibitive due to weight. If you want to help someone in Europe, send them a bullet mold of their choice. Then they can make all they want.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I ship to Europe quite often.
Priority Global Flat Rate envelopes can fit I think 2.5 boxes of 338 bullets without boxes for around 5 dollars.
I mark on the customs forms as 'GIFT' and write the brand name abbreviation and part number in the description.
Keeps the cost down to a minimum and the customs persons off my back.
The USPS also has a larger envelope for around 7 dollars that can fit a bit more.

www.cliffsgunsmithing.com

-Spencer

one of us
posted Hide Post
As a citizen of the United States of America, the laws of any European nation do not apply to you. Their customs agents may steal the package, but since shipping inert metal is legal in the US, there can be no legal repercussions.

Posts: 30 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 30 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
The problem isn't on the European end, it is on the American side.

Visit Brownell's website, or that of Sinclair International and you will see the problems they have. Also, visit the US State Department's website and you will see that exporting more than $100 of bullets or even empty brass is illegal unless you (meaning the American exporter) have an export permit. Most countries in Europe couldn't care less about bullets or brass (as long as they get their duty and taxes!).

We have more than enough governmental silliness in Europe, but this *particular* silliness is purely American (since 9-11 -- surprise). :-(

Too bad -- this inconveniences non-American shooters, and reduces profits for American companies in the gun industry so we all lose.

However, the good news is that there seems to zero enforement of these rules for small quantities of bullets/brass for sporting purposes.

jpb

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well live and learn. Is the export regulation on value or actual cost of the shipment? The original poster is sending them for free.

Posts: 30 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 30 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A $100 threshold don't sound like much of a barrier to me. By my reckoning, that would be something over 50 pounds of bullets.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
Leftoverdj:

Yes, if the bullets are cheap it sure is a lot of bullets!

My only problem is for expensive bullets like the Northforks: 2 boxes and you're over the monetary limit (at least in the bigger calibres!).

It is great to see that some companies are still interested in exporting to Europe.

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote