New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bullet Sizing-Lube Choice
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
If you were going to cast a bullet for a new modern inline rifle............

When you size your bullets for a cartridge rifle you should size it .001 to .002 over. What size do you guys think you should size your MZ bullet?? Over .002, or under .002 for a slip fit?? Looking for opinions.

Also which lube would you consider best for MZ bullets?? And how do you prefer applying the lube?? Tom..

WEST BY GOD VIRGINIA

Posts: 248 | Location: RIVESVILLE, WV | Registered: 20 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Head, I can't say what others do, but I cast pure Pb Maxi-Balls (T/C mold), Lee Improved Minie Balls and .490" RB's for my .50cal.Knight Bighorn. The conicals are unsized* and lubed with a suitable BP lube, in this case Ox-Yoke's "Wonder Lube," but T/C's "Bore Butter" and its clones work just as well. The RB's are patched with a .010" - .014" lubed patch.

*The Maxi-Ball (think of it as a bore rider in reverse) is engraved by the rifling as it's seated, as is the Minie. However, given its hollow base, it expands to seal the bore. Moreover, it can't be driven as fast as the Maxi- if you want peak accuracy.

Posts: 480 | Location: N.Y. | Registered: 09 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul Brasky:
Head, I can't say what others do, but I cast pure Pb Maxi-Balls (T/C mold), Lee Improved Minie Balls and .490" RB's for my .50cal.Knight Bighorn. The conicals are unsized* and lubed with a suitable BP lube, in this case Ox-Yoke's "Wonder Lube," but T/C's "Bore Butter" and its clones work just as well. The RB's are patched with a .010" - .014" lubed patch.

*The Maxi-Ball (think of it as a bore rider in reverse) is engraved by the rifling as it's seated, as is the Minie. However, given its hollow base, it expands to seal the bore. Moreover, it can't be driven as fast as the Maxi- if you want peak accuracy.

Paul,

The way I understand the Maxi-Ball is like you said it engraves when loaded, but only the front band. Then when fires it obturates to fill the bore and grooves. I found this to be true as I've recovered fired bullets that were not totally destroyed and there was proof of the rifling on all three bands. If you look how deep the bullet lube grooves are, it more then likely doesn't take much pressure to compress the bullet and obturate.