New
Find
Notify
Tools

32-40 Question...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I guess I am a glutton for punishment, but I am casting some bullets for a friend's 32-40. Here is the problem: I bought the Lyman 319247 mould, and using 20:1, the bullets are dropping at between .319" and .320", way too small for the .322" bore. Do I send the mould back and try another one, try to find an old "321XXX" mould from Lyman, buy a custom mould and pay through the nose, or go with Lyman #2 alloy and hope the rifle will take the harder alloy?

Thanks, guys...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Unless he is shooting matches that require plain base bullets, the simple answer is just to pick up an 8mm mould. I have an unneeded Lyman 323470 DC I'd swap.

It is a good citizen's duty to love the country and hate the gubmint.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tried to get hold of my friend earlier today to see what kind of rifle he was shooting, but couldn't find him. My only real concern is that the original rifles were designed for plain based bullets, and that may be what he is wanting. But send me a pm and we can discuss it. Assuming your mould is in "as new" condition, I am interested. The one I played with yesterday has had less than 200 bullets cast from it. It came in the mail last Saturday...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote