Notify
Tools

Re: Is shooting cast more fun?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted
BAShooter
Here's a starting point. I used to use a bullet lube called 'Microlube'. From the look of it and the smell, since the DIs made sure I all knew all there was to know about Johnson's paste wax and floors. I used this Microlube in various revolvers and 45-70 rifle with near perfection. The down side is it's a bit messy, tends to get every where.
I think the manufacturer heated this product to remove some of the solvents, it seems the manufacturer of this lube burned down his workshop as a result of this heating process.
I'll suggest you find some floor paste wax and see what results you get, if nothing else you can have a life time supply of wax for your gunstocks.
Jim

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all your advises.
Thanks Felix for the peanut oil recommendation , smoke is also an issue for me.
One more time, we always have one more alternative to try with cast bullets, without doubt, shooting cast bullets is more fun.

BA Shooter

Posts: 126 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentine | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HerrBerg
posted Hide Post
I've just started out with cast, because of need rather than want, since our Prime minister struck a deal with the environmentalistas in oder to keep the rule of Sweden.

One of the little details was a lead ban, and since I never really considered following that law I started thinking about cast bullets. I can of course hunt with BarnesX or any other lead-free bullet, but bulk training is not what these bullets are made for.

So, one of the more well-known guys on this forum sent me two of his molds as a gift! Time to start casting, the tools and gadgets are stacking up here now faster that I can use them but it is - indeed - great fun! I've even got into shotshell reloading since I've started to cast slugs but I need to assemble the slug loads, and...

Posts: 1723 | Location: Stockholm, Sweden | Registered: 18 March 2002Reply With Quote