Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cast Bullets.....Where to start??
 Login/Join

posted
I have been reloading now for about 10 years, and have never used lead bullets let alone made my own, and I would like to get some basic information on where to start. Nobody I personally know casts their own bullets, so I would be entering new territory. I currently have several handguns that I would like to load for including 38, 357, 45LC, 45 ACP. I have a Dillon 550 Press and was wondering if this was able to be used with lead bullets. Also, besides Wheel Weights, what are other sources of lead, and with WW's, do you have add anything to themas far as addidtives, or just the lead. Does anyone have any books that I can read, I want to get as much information before jumping in as I do not want to waste money purchasing tools and materials only to have to upgrade a year later when I become more serious. I believe in making one purchase that may be more expensive, rather than several less expensive. So if you have equipment suggestions don't hesitate to mention the stuff that may be more expensive, but in the end a much better product. Thanks in advance!!

One of Us
Picture of johnch
posted Hide Post
Take a look at Cast Boolits

Lot's of info in the stickys
And even more if you do a search

A great group , that I am privlaged to be a small part of

John

NRA life
Delta
Pheasants Forever
DU
Hunt as if your life depended on your results

Posts: 591 | Location: NW ,Ohio 10 Min from Ottawa NWR | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yup, join us over at Castboolits.gunloads.com. You will be suprised at all the help you will get.

Wheelweights are fine. Get them while you can. Sometimes about 1-2% tin added will help in fillout of the bullet. 1% really should be enough, but try the WW;s first, you might not need any extra tin. A good lead pot, 20 lbs ,if you plan on casting alot.
38/357--a good plain base SWC should work fine. Same with the 45's. A lyman 450 lube sizer, or even a 4500 is a good unit. The Star is the premium unit, but you may not need that much capacity.
Lee 2 cav. moulds are OK to practice with, and once you get good, one of their 6 cavity moulds work well (this is where the 20 lb pot comes in handy).
I would suggest the Lee 38-158RF for your 38''/357's. 45acp the 45-200RF for a light bullet or the 45-230TC for a heavier. 45Colt try the 45-255RF.
Lots of custom mould makers if you really get into it. BRP and Accurate moulds to name two. On Castboolits, there are group buys for different things not available thru regular mfgs.
Clean the moulds when you get them. You can try your hand at casting for about $100, with a Lee 10 lb pot and a couple of moulds and some Lee tumble lube. IF you KNOW you will be doing alot of it, a master casting kit from Midway, Grafs, ect, is a good way to go.
I have gone with a RCBS 20 lb pot, a Star lube/sizer and I won't get into the moulds. You really won't save money, but you will shoot alot more for the same cost.

DRSS
Beretta 45-70 belgian mag
Tikka 512S 9.3 x 74R
Baikal o/u 30-06
Looking for next one

Posts: 290 | Location: Western Colorado | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get a Lyman Reloading Manual if you don't have one. Lots of good info about casting and load data for cast bullets. Wheel weights here's the magic formula. Take x pounds of wheel weights and add x pounds of wheel weights and you are good to go.

Posts: 3806 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of br6ppc1
posted Hide Post
I'm in a similar situation. Been reloading for 20 years, loaded lead bullets, love the Cast Performance WFN's. I'm thinking about getting into casting. I can definitely recommend CastBoolits website. I've doing a lot of lurking and searching over there. Tons of info and lots of helpful advice.

Posts: 92 | Location: Eastman, GA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I find casting easier than reloading, almost theraputic. The Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook has a ton of good info & some loading data. The trick is gettign cheap or free alloy. With the lead ww going extinct, it's going to get tougher & tougher.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote