New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buying new lead pot & mold for 32-40
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
For over 20 years I cast bullets for hadguns and used them for target and hunting. Got out of it back in 1988 and sold everything. Now I would like to buy a new lead pot and bullet mold for casting rifle bullets for the 32-40 Winchester cartridge. Have read where it is far better to hand pour with a ladel then it is to use a bottom pour pot when making precision cast bullets. The rifle that these bullets are for is a Stevens 44 (not a 44 1/2) So pressures will be kept to that of black powder. I have tried the old stand by bullet Lyman 319247 and had some good results in test firing. Now I'd like to buy a lead pot and bullet mold. Would like to hear from those who are in the know about casting and their thoughts on the purchase of a lead pot and bullet mould. Also bottom pour as apposed to ladle pouring. Don't want to buy the wrong stuff and have to just keep up grading after a mistaken purchase.

Posts: 259 | Location: up state New York USA | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Casting is addictive! Today 32-40 tomorrow---who knows? So---if you dont want to have to upgrade later---buy a bottom pour pot. You can always ladel dip out of it if you want! For more information than you likely need, log onto the "Cast Boolit" web site and start reading.

Posts: 167 | Location: Kamloops British Columbia Canada | Registered: 19 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RD thanks for the reply. Signed up on Cast Boolits this AM. Plan on reading there some more.

Posts: 259 | Location: up state New York USA | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wth all due respects to Mr. McMillan, I would like to disagree. I have both a bottom pour pot from RCBS and a ladle pot from SAECO. I have been casting for almost 30 years now, and although both pots have their place, for pure consistency, nothing beats a ladle. The reason is that as a bottom pour pot level goes down the pressure of the pour decreases and bullets get lighter, in my experience. That doesn't happen with a ladle, so long as the ladle is full with every pour.

And I don't know for the world how you would get a ladle in my RCBS ProMelt pot. With the plug and the associated handle that lifts and lowers the plug, it appears to me the effort would not be worth it.

I would recommend the Lyman 20# pot designed for ladle casting, and a single cavity mould. Even with a single cavity, you can pour up more projectlies than you will probably use up in a single trip to the range.

Just my $.02...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Doubless, thank you. I like the looks of the Lyman 20 pound pot, and have in the past used a Lyman bottom pour pot. As for a ladle what manufactures brand do you recommend? Also what do you like to use for flux? As a youth I worked for a newspaper that stil used the old linotype mechines for building print to make the first copy of a page. It was my job as an apprentice to melt the letter slugs down every night and cast them into 20 pound pigs for the next days use in the linotype mechines. That lead pot was a gas fired 1000 pound pot and the old timer that was over seeing me had me use a potatoe on a iron rod that would be plunged to the bottom of the 1000 pound lead pot to flux it. It had to be done in one swift move or the molten lead would explode from the pot. I still have some scares on my arms from doing that to slow 43 years ago. I'd like to use a better method with my bullet casting now! Back then I'd carry a 4 cavity mold to work with me and cast Lyman #358429 bullets for my 357 magnum. How times have changed since then. Folks didn't think a thing about an 18 year old carring a S&W M19. At times the newspaper would send me to some pretty rough places to deliever printing jobs we would print for some far left wing radicals. Remember this was back when all the race riots were going on in the 1960s. When I got out of the delivery truck I would be surounded till I took off my jacket exposing the S&W in the shoulder holster. They would then back off and keep their distance from me so I could unload the printing job. I didn't like making those trips, but the newspaper would pay me double time ($3.00 an hr). That was good money for a kid just out of high school back then. At any rate I'd like to hear more of your suggestions about casting good bullets for my 32-40 project. Thank you for your input. Sendaro

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am left handed, and I use an RCBS ladle that a friend converted to left hand for me. He actually drilled out the boss on the other side of the ladle and tapped it, then plugged the side the handle originally came in. It works well, but it is cast iron and now and again I have to buff it, as it oxidizes pretty quickly at the higher temperature. I really wish they still made the ladles out of stainless.

As far as flux goes, just about anything will work including sawdust. What I use, however, is beeswax. It works well and will burn, so you can ignite the smoke and it not not smoke up the area so bad.

I have about 4k lbs of linotype in my garage. Darned good stuff, and excellent for alloying with wheel weights!

Best of luck on your casting...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Doubless, Would it help to polish the outside of the ladle? The Lyman ladle looks like it can be a left or right hand by switching the handle to the holes provided. I also have to shoot left handed, although I'm right handed. Took a bullet through the lens of my glasses back in 1972 that blinded my right eye. Learned how to shoot from the left shoulder with long guns and with both hands with hand guns. Still not as quick as I was right handed but I can hit the mark.Shot a lot of deer with the 41 mag and the 44 mag revolvers. The Keith SWC bullets do as good a job as the jacketed ones in handguns. Never took any game with cast bullets in a rifle except the muzzle loaders. looking forward to taking a white tail with a cast bullet from the 32-40. I know that I will have to make a well placed shot, but feel confident that it will get the job done if I do my part. thanks again for the information. Sendaro.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Rowell bottom pour dipper is the best one I have seen. I shot the Coors matches for several years, and when Dean Miller built my rifle he handed me one with it and said "practice Richard, practice...". Scary thing, Dean and his wife Cheri and son Cyle shot so much Dean bought a Magna-Caster and could make 600 bullets in two hours with a .2gr spread. I could do that with the Jerry Barnett mould I got from Dean, but about a hundred an hour good enough to shoot.

Have you been to www.assra.com yet? Lots of good stuff on Schuetzen, and general cast bullet single shot rifle stuff.

regards,

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rich,Looking back I missed the chance to have learned from one that was very experinced in cast bullet rifle shooting. As a Kid I would attend the benchrest matches at the Pine Tree Rifle Club of Johnstown, New York. There I would watch the shooter load and shoot in center fire rifle matches for group. An old timer with a hot Chevy would take the time to talk with me about reloading and offered guidance to get started loading and shooting. I just didn't know his history at the time. He was Harvey Donaldson. My interest was is a flat shooting accurate varmint rifles and loading for my deer rifle. Wish that I had known back then what I know of Harvey now. He was a man that would offer first hand advice and what a history he had.I have several momentos that he gave me to spark my interest. Funny how we shooters seem to come full turn in interest from 22 rimfires as a youth learning to shoot and then return to them in later life, and then it's to muzzle loaders and cast bullets in centerfire rifle. Went to the ASSRA web site and took a look as you have suggested. It would appear to me that there is much there that I may learn from. I'm starting to understand more with all the suggestion I have been getting from the web sites and will continue to investagate before making purchase. Have a friend that at one time had a biz making and selling molds. Although he sold the biz he has knowledge and some items left over. He has invited me to his shop to go through some of the items left over. There maybe a few things there I can pick up to get started. He tells me that he has the parts left over to make me a lube pump, and maybe a few molds. I will take a look, and see what's there. One thing that I have picked up is that the 1 in 16" twist rate in my Stevens 44 barrel will not be right for long bullets. looks like I will have to stay with bullets that are less then 1 inch long. I don't think that I'll ever be using this rifle in Schutezen matches but rather to plink with and use as a learning tool, so it should be a good learning platform for this. If the bug bites me hard to get deeper into the sport I'll have to up grade to a better rifle. For now I will be content with learning and using the Stevens.I wish to say thank you for your help and suggestions. Sendaro

One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of the absolute best bullet mould makers I have ever known is David Mos. He is a long time Schuetzen Shooter.
He worked at Ballard, and then at K&P and is a master machinist.

You can contact him at his shop. Either he or his wife Shelly will answer this PN. 1-479-216-6787 in Mena, Arkansas. I believe he has at least one .32 caliber mould for sale.

I met Harve once about thirty years ago. The man could run anything in a machine shop. Did he have his corvette when you met him?

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Harvey had several cars over the time period that I knew him. Harvey's close friend was Frank Hubbard who had a Chevy Dealership. Frank was a shooter and collector of WInchester M70 rifles.You will find a few photos of Frank in Wallack's book Modern Accuracy. Thanks for the information about the mold maker. I will check him out. Have a few more rifle matches to run at the Pine Tree Rifle Club this year before schools out for me. Shot in the Bill Davis Memorial match at Dr Palmisano's range in PA this past Saturday. Wind was ripping the targets off the frames. Didn't win the match but place good enough to win a certificate for 10 boxes of Berger Bullets of my choice. It was good to see Doc, and the gang again. Thanks again and have a great hunting season. Sendaro

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I haven't heard from Ferris Pindell lately, is he still around?

Rich

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rich, I do not recall how he is doing. I will find out this weekend at the rifle match. Dr. Richard Maretzo will be in attendance, and I will ask him about Ferris. Funny thing is I have a rifle in my shop today that I'm preparing to fire that has a scope made by a man named Ferriss(yes with 2 SSs on the end). Seems that this scope was made in Utica, NY in the late 1860's. G.H.Ferriss worked with Morgan James there in the mid 1800's. They both built scopes and rifles. I understand that Morgan James supplied rifles with scopes to Berdan's Sharpshooters in the Civil War. Utica is about 45 miles west of me. The rifle that this scope is on is a ML benchrest rifle in 45 cal with false muzzle and bullet starter. This rifle is in wonderful condition and is headed for display in an old fort that is in the Mohawk Valley. So much history here in this area about shooting and precision rifles. I will ask about Ferris Pindell and get back to you.Have a great weekend. Sendaro

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I want to buy or have built a good slug gun in .40 caliber one of these days. Do you know anybody there who makes a good one at a reasonable price? Same for a scope, just can't see sticking even a Unertl on one.

Shoot good.

Rich

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rich,I don't know any gunsmiths in the area that are building slug guns. However I'd suggest that you contact Wally Hart at Hart Rifles in Nescopeck PA. Wally is retired now but still dabbles in the shop. He has a rifling mechine and may make you a barrel. If he is not interested in building the rifle he will know a smith that can. Wally has done a lot of muzzle loading over the years. The number at the shop in 1-800-368-3656. As for a scope you may want to take a look at the reproduction Wm Malcolm scopes offered by Hi-Lux. Good luck, Sendaro

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good thought. Cheryl called this afternoon. She is the order lady at MVA. My 2000 series is ready and will go out in the morning. My pants don't sag anymore. She lightened my wallet about a grand in thirty seconds. I go to the Quigley Rifle Matches every June. MVA is about half way thru Day II of two five hundred mile days.

Try and figure out how to make that match someday.

Rich

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rich,
I talked with a man that was at the Super Shoot a few years ago and he said that Feriss Pindell was not doing well then. I don't believe he is shooting anymore. Where do they hold the match that you are mentioning?
Sendaro

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have cast for about 43 years( man am I tired). For a little over the first half I used ladle only (a Lyman ladle). Then I got a Lee bottom pour and was instantly convinced it was the better way to go. I don't like most Lee stuff, but I consider the Lee furnaces a good buy. I have very little drip problem with mine. I am fond of RCBS molds. The only way a bullet will get lighter is if you are taking on air as in a void. If you have a steady stream of molten alloy until mold is filled there will be no void.

Posts: 3808 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Carpetman1, Thanks for the input. At this point I'm still looking around. Have too many irons in the fire at present. Once things settle down a bit I will continue my search in ernest. Haven't been back to your wonderful State of Texas since 2001.Truly enjoyed the time I spen there. My Wife was born in Huston. Had a ball over near Llano helping a friend rid his ranch of unwanted game animals. Seems that there is high fence game ranches in that area, and some of the critters get out and end up on his ranch. His directions to me was if it ain't a cow, horse, deer, or a turkey kill it. Well in the four days of perging his land some strange looking critters were sent to the next dimention. I'm sure most of them were not from America's. It was a fun trip. I was very impressed with your State, and the people that I ran into.Texas will always have a bit of my heart. Sendaro

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Senaro--Llano is a little over 100 miles East of me. I'm in the mesquite trees and there you have oaks. Lots of high fences with exotic game animals. Axis deer and even elk at some places amongst a couple of them. Houston is several hundred miles East of me. Glad you liked the place.

Posts: 3808 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Carpetman1, There was mesquite and cactus where I hunted. The small mountians were redish crumbling sandstone. There was all kinds of critters there emu, large white deer wit no antlers except small scrubby ones, hogs, goats,and Audad.Whatever came along got smacked with a 270 Win. or a 7MM Rem Mag I had set up for long range. Did make one shot on a pair of hogs with the 7MM Rem Mag that killed both with the one shot. Was shooting the Sierra 168 grain MK bullets and it went clear through both hogs. They both just dropped. It was a fun four days of culling. This was also my first time seeing armodillos. Rancher told me to pop them also. I was carring a Colt 1911 that Clark did over for me and it was a ball shooting them on the run. I can see why Texans love their State. I was born and raised in the Adirondacks of up State New York. There is wild areas still north of me where a man can walk in a line for over 30 miles and never hit a road. Most people that have never been to NY think that we are all city people here, but that's far from the way it is. I live 176 miles from the Big Apple and have only been there once. Got nothing there that I want to go back for.However, I'd go back to Texas at the drop of a hat! Sendaro

one of us
posted Hide Post
Once in a while we come across something that goes as it was said to. Here is one time that this has happened. I was told to try breach seating bullets in the old Stevens 44 in 323-40 Winchester. What did I have to loose? So I gave it a try. Made a breach seating tool with the dowel sticking out the mouth of the case 1/16", and trued the surface up by eye. Headed to my shooting lab and set up the Harrell's powder measure to throw 12 grains of IMR4227 powder. Cases were primed with Federal 210 SD primers, and not sized. The bullet use were the SAECO #632 (165 grain from Montana Bullet Works) tapered bullet like the old Pope type used in the Schuetzen rifles. This bullet is made for breach seating. Much to my surprize they breach seated very easy. When I closed the breach block on the seating tool it pushed the bullet into the lead of the rifling. I could see no day light around the bullet once seated, so I knew that I had a good seal. The cartridge case was then charged with powder and inserted into the chamber with the rifle tipped up slightly. The test firing was done at a range of 100 yards over and out of doors range, however the benchrest is within the shooting lab.My Stevens 44 is equiped with a reproduction Wm Malcolm 6X scope and was fired with the barrel supported on a sand bag. The Stevens 44 is a great rifle for shooting off hand but is like a boat out of water when you try to shoot it from a benchrest. So the HART front rest had a small sandbag drapped over it and the rear of the rifle was supported with a small sandbag in the non trigger hand. It was the old squeeze the rear bag method of shooting from the benchrtest that I learned back in the 1960s with a hunting rifle. This work and the rifle could be supported stable for the test firing.The first three rounds fired shot slightly to the left and the scope was ajusted to hit point aim. The next three round formed a nice tight group of 3/4". Thinking that this maybe a fluke I repeated the test again 15 minutes later. Once again the rifle and load gave the same proformance! Having some Lyman cast bullets #319247 165 grain on hand they were also given a try. They are not a tappered bullet and breach seating then took more effort. However it was worth the effort, and the results was a nice tight three shot group of less then 5/8". I know that there is room for improvement but at least I'm on the right track at this point. Have ordered a SAECO mold for the #632 bullet. Now I have to come up with a bullet lube that will work as good as the lube on the cast bullet that I bought.The lube on the bullet that I bought worked very well. There was no lead fouling at all. The bullets came from Montana Bullet Works, and it was blue in color. I inspected the bore with a Hawkeye bore scope after giving the barrel a light cleaning to remove the powder residue and found no trace of lead galling at all. Would like to hear from those in the know what they would suggest for a cast bullet lube. The velocity will be kept under 1400 fps, and I will only be using smokeless powder.