New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone ever make their own gas checks?
 Login/Join

Picture of Mark
posted
Either with a "Freechex" or similar gas check swaging device. Looks like you could pay for one with a couple thousand gas checks, which is a reasonable payback at least to me. However, does it take an evening to make a couple thousand checks or is the rate closer to 2 a minute? They are an interesting looking gizmo but just wondering how real-world practical they are?

Thanks,

Mark

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Once you have the equipment in front of you, about six to eight a minute.

Store-bought GC's are over a nickel apiece these days, and some calibers are difficult to find.

For me, a 9,3x62 or 404J, a bullet mold with its' odd sized checks is the issue.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
I used 44 mag for my 404 and they worked perfectly.
I make 6.5,7mm,303 44mag and 404 Jefferywith Freechex tools and wouldn't be without them now. Use .012 lithographic plate for all cast work up to 1900fps and then Cu for higher Velocities. Have used copper flashing but I use so few at the higher velocities that a box of Hornadies on the shelf and the Freechex tools means a never ending almost no cost supply.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2684 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Load 5 or 10 rounds with gas check and same number without. Clean barrel and have someone that knows which is which give you a lot. Fire them. Note amount of leading and clean barrel. Fire the other lot. Note leading and compare group. Do the gas checks seem to be doing anything? (shooter doesn't know which is which) Smaller groups or less leading.

Posts: 3803 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 35Whelen
posted Hide Post
You bet. I have an original Free Chex, but eventually made my own press mounted model:

Just one of those $2.49 aluminum "No Trespassing" signs will yield about 550 checks.

"Only accurate rifles are interesting"- Col. Townsend Whelen

Posts: 143 | Location: Texas | Registered: 08 November 2004Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
35Whelen, that is a nice looking design!

Care to describe is in a little detail? It looks like everything is done in one operation, and the checks drop down into the ram?

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 35Whelen
posted Hide Post
Thanks. It is a one step operation. The aluminum is inserted in the slot in the body of the 7/8-14 bolt, the punch is raised and it cuts a disk from the aluminum. It then raises the disk to the bolt whose end is turned to a diameter so as to form the aluminum disc into a cup or gas check.

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Do the checks fall out of the bottom of the ram or do you punch so many and then push them out?

I'm also interested in what diameter you made the body, your punch bolt, and the hollow ram.

As I said, it looks like the a nice design as it appears to not only be doing everything in one operation but also rather quickly as well.

one of us
Picture of 35Whelen
posted Hide Post
No, I have to remove the punch every 10 or so strokes and empty the checks out. I have plans for a piece that fits into the ram of the press, which then accepts the punch and allows the checks to fall out, but didn't want to bother with it.

I really don't remember the dimensions as it was a "seat of the pants", trial and error endeavor. Several years ago my Dad bought a lathe and wanted to store it at my house, so I used it to make the check maker. (I'm NOT a machinist, by the way)

A few years ago a gentleman was kind enough to send me a *.pdf of drawings for his design of a check maker, and I used his dimensions to get me started. If you'll PM me, I'll be glad to send you those drawings.

There was a fellow on the Cast Boolit site who had made one pretty much with hand tools but I no longer have his drawings.

If you have access to a lathe, just go guy a couple od 7/8-14 bolts and start experimenting. I assure you, if I can do it, ANYBODY can do it!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Whelen,

what thickness are they?

I took a dozen donuts and a pound of coffee over to the newspaper in town, and walked out the pressroom with about forty sheets of litho plate.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
353 Whelen:/Rich:

I'd sure like to get that pdf file, or see where the cut is made in the die body. What it's cut with would help too.

Rich: What thickness should they be? A few years ago I bought two 3' sticks of 7/8"x14 all thread from Grainger. Seems like the bill was around ten bucks, not sure if total or each now, too many yrs ago. Got 'em to make dies with. I have a nice lathe and used to be a top hand on one about 45 years ago. I'm relearning again.

Thanks much,
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
georgeld,

you just need to measure the gas check shank and know your sizer die diameter. Divide the difference by two.

Rich

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got the picture of the die's makings.

Need to know how the slot was cut and what the width is. I can make it ok once I get out there to do it.

Rich:
Need to decide on the mold yet too.
Think I'll have Tom at Accurate molds make one for me.

What did you pay for the check maker? Might be easier to buy than make.

Thanks to both of you.
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote