Find
Notify
Tools

Heavy .44 Bollits.......
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of poletax
posted
Do any of you guys know who makes a 300-325 grain bullet mold?

My Strength Is That I Can Laugh At Myself,
My Weakness Is That I have No Choice.

Posts: 5567 | Location: charleston,west virginia | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RCBS makes a 300 gr. Keith style gas check bullet. IIRC, the number is 44-300-KT.I don't have time to run to the shed and look to be sure.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Lee makes a 310 gr rf gc mold that finishes right around 320 gr's when cast from ww's. It's an excellent design and shot just as well as a genuine LBT 300 gr LFN. I was able to get an easy 1200 fps from a 4 5/8" super blackhawk and 1 1/2" 25 yd groups.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of poletax
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.
I got mommys credit card and I'm going shoppin'.

Posts: 5567 | Location: charleston,west virginia | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lyman makes the 429650 and it cast at 315-320. It is severely accurate in my Ruger SRH. Good-luck...BCB

Posts: 212 | Location: WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That Lee 310 is as accurate as the LBT's and I have held under 1" at 50 yd's with my SBH. Even tighter with the SRH. Thing shoots great out of the Marlin 1894 too. Can't beat the price. You can buy 2, 2 cavity molds and run both at the same time. Easier then the six cavity and lets the sprues harden as you switch molds.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Lee 310 works well for me in the SRH.
Cast of WW, sized 0.431", lubed with FWFWL, 18.5 grains of my batch of WC-820 (SLOW) I shot a 50 yard group that was the best of any I have ever shot. Even better than the WC-680 groups.

Now, take a breath after reading all of that in one sentence and order a 6 banger mold for that one!

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4235 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
NEI also makes several styles of moulds around 300-320 grains for the 44.

I currently have LEE, NEI and LBT moulds and all seem to be just as accurate as the other when properly cast.

Posts: 265 | Location: Bulverde, Texas | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of poletax
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.
I got a LEE 310 coming from Mid-South.I should have it today or tomorrow.
Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bob Cooper in St. Albans has a Lyman mold that throws a 325 gr swc/gc. I shot it thru a deer a few years ago using WW296 @ 1,200fps and I don't think the bullet knew it hit anything. Just punched a hole thru Bambi and went off into the mountain side.

Dead deer and venison in the freezer. Life dont get any better clap

Rick R
Of all the things I've lost in life, I miss my mind the most.

Posts: 162 | Location: On top of a mountain in WV | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
NEI has a mold listed that is supposed to weigh 280 SWCGC. It drops out of my mold @ 310 using WW.
Just took it out to chrony loads using Blue Dot and WW 296.

10.5 grains of Blue Dot using a CCI 300 primer averaged 945 fps.
The best load (for me)with the 296 was 19.5 grains in front of a Federal Mag primer. It averaged 1259fps. All shot out of a 6 1/2" M29.

With hardened WW this bullet should shoot through a Buick. ;-)

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1632 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The best load (for me)with the 296 was 19.5 grains in front of a Federal Mag primer. It averaged 1259fps. All shot out of a 6 1/2" M29.

How was recoil out of your 629? I have been thinking about trying that bullet out of one of my 44s, but figured the recoil might be a bit fierce out of a 4" Model 29, and probably plenty stiff out of the 629 Classic...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
It wasn't unmanagable, at all. It's not the same sharp recoil as a lighter weight bullet at hi vel. More of a heavier rolling effect. Out of the 4" I couldn't say.

It's not an overload at all, in my gun. I am fairly cautious in that regard. I feel if you want more power, you get a bigger gun. Not overload the one you have. ;-)

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1632 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote