New
Find
Notify
Tools

Powder contamination??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I think this question is targeted toward felix. I have some plastic containers from work that had MEK based solvent in them. My idea is to used them from powder and bullet storage. Is there any concern about contamination of powder in these? I leave them open to flash off the solvent and there is no oder of MEK left which my thinking says there shouldn't be any thing left in them.

ohshooter

Posts: 36 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ohshooter...I beleive I'd be careful of putting powder in the MEK containers.

Maybe one of the chemical people here can weigh into this but MEK's bad stuff.

I just don't have any idea what the MEK would do to the plastic and what would be imbedded in it.

I once poured some MEK in a styrofoam cup. Didn't even slow down as it passed through.

I once left some Unique in a Lyman 55 measure reservoir overnight and next morning, the grains contacting the plastic were etched into the plastic due to some kind of chemical reaction. Lost only an inch or so in the reservoir.

Think I'd stick to relabeled powder containers or the jugs that milsurp comes in if that's what you're trying to break down./beagle

Posts: 234 | Location: Lexington, Ky,USA | Registered: 26 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ohshooter
MEK is Methal Ethal Ketone. It's a pretty potent solvent. You find it alot in paint removers, or use too. I worked with it at an oil refinery where they use it to separate paraffin and oil. It's one of the few things that will disolve paraffin. Actually I've never see MEK come in a plastic container, always a metal one. Styro foam is made from the chemical Styrene. Takes a very little styrene to make a styro foam cup for example. There's little doubt that any strong solvent will melt through a styro foam cup.
I think I would look for another container. Preferably metal cans like the IMR powders come in. You can purchase these in fact new.

Joe

one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
I went to Home Depot when I was makeing up a batch of Ed'd Red. They had some quart and gallon paint style metal cans for a buck something. What about Coffee cans?

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ohshooter;
Have ya considered BP/Pyrodex containers? I sure seem to empty them quickly at 70-80 loads per pound. Most guys just throw them away when done.

jim

Posts: 35 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With Quote