New
Find
Notify
Tools

cast boolets for the 45 acp
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
anyone know whos bullet is excellent seem so many casters out there hard to choose a bullet.
I would like to stay with 200 grain SWC or RN

Posts: 149 | Location: LONG ISALAND N.Y. @ CALABASH N.C. | Registered: 16 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
First choice would be a Hensley & Gibbs #68.
Lot's of luck finding one. Hensley & Gibbs are no longer in business. That's the bad news. However, SAECO makes two molds their #068 which is a bevel based version of the H&G bullet and their #069 which from the picture I've seen, is just about an exact copy of the H&G bullet.
I have the #068 bullet mold and it is a good one. years ago, when I worked for a bullet casting outfit in San Francisco, we made the H&G #68 and I shot them a lot. very accurate bullet. I found the SAECO #068 at a gun show and gambled on whether it would shot as good. It did. Either of the bullets is niminally a 200 gr. bullet. Weight may vary depending on your alloy. Mine run right at 210 gr.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Are looking to buy the bullets or cast your own.
I've got a H&G 68 clone made by NEI, then I've got a pair of 4 cavity molds from Saeco that throws a 200 grain SWC.
I use them interchangably.
Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am looking to buy,I never did get into casting lead

Posts: 149 | Location: LONG ISALAND N.Y. @ CALABASH N.C. | Registered: 16 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Laser-Cast in Baker City, Oregon.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lonewolf5348:
I am looking to buy,I never did get into casting lead

My suggestion is most commercial cast bullets are sized to jacketed bullet diameter, .358 for 38s, .452 for 45s. The compamy knows they will lead like mad with any reasonable alloy hardnes, so they make a hard, heat treated alloy and hope you will load them to 'target' velocities.
Find a small bullet casting firm that offers you the option of various bullet diameters. I've used Wayne Doudna at
http://www.customcastbullets.com/
Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used wayne before for my 45-70
I shot him a e mail think on splitting an order 250/250
200 swc and 230 RN
how do you like his cast in 45cal?
I was thinking on 5.5 unique for the above cast

one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
I use his 300 grain gas checked for my 45 Colt Anaconda and Winchester 92.....a 350 grain gas checked Saeco for the 45-70... and a 140 grain SWC for the 357. I also have the molds for all the bullets, so when I recover from being lazy I can cast my own.
Jim
I did not answer your question.
I found using a matched pair of four cavity molds I can make a big pile of bullets in short order. I use two 200 grain SWC molds, Saeco, for the 45 acp. My buddy and I will fill a big tube full of these bullets and shoot off them for a couple years.
We do the same with Saeco 255 grain plain base bullets for the 45 Colt S&Ws,
Jim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
Laser-Cast in Baker City, Oregon.

Rich
DRSS

Ditto. My bone-stock Colt model 80 1911 just loves their 230 grain cast. I was exceptionally pleased with the accuracy - no different than the copper jacketed 230's.

Posts: 5184 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 06 August 2005Reply With Quote