New
Find
Notify
Tools

Babbitt alloy
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was able to score a few hundred pounds of low-speed lead-based bearing babbitt with the following composition: 9% Sb, 3% Sn, 0.3% each Cu and Ni with the remainder (87-88%) being Pb.
Also got quite a bit of tin-based high-speed babbitt alloy that is 88.5% Sn, 7.5% Sb, 3.5% Cu and 0.5% Ni (lead-free). I'm planning on casting mainly for high-speed (1800fps+), gas-checked slugs in .454 Casull and am looking for ideas on whether I should add some of the tin alloy to the lead alloy to up the Sn content above 3% and if the copper and nickle may screw up the mix. Also curious whether this alloy could be water quenched or heat treated like wheelweights to up the hardness as needed (or is a trace of arsenic required).
Thanks!

Posts: 131 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 09 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cast some and see. I'm pretty sure that the trace amounts in the mostly PB alloy won't hurt anything. You wanna heat treat it, throw in some birdshot just in case. Since you have so much of it, a couple or three pounds of the high Sn alloy added to 100 pounds of the other wouldn't hurt anything and might help.

I'm envious. That cache added to the WW I can scrounge would have me shooting for life.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
should be plenty of tin in it allready. Id cast some and test them for hardness. If you dont have a tester send me a couple and ill test them for you. If you want to water quench consider adding a lb of magnum shot to #50 and that would give you your arsnic.

Posts: 1404 | Location: munising MI USA | Registered: 29 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of felix
posted Hide Post
There are quite a few babbits that have a lot of arsenic for our purposes. If possible to melt the babbit in a pot, pay attention to the smell. If you get a garlic smell, the lead has plenty of arsenic. ... felix

Posts: 477 | Location: fort smith ar | Registered: 17 September 2002Reply With Quote