New
Find
Notify
Tools

grooveless bullets
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi to all- first to Ed. I wonder if a boattail cast bullet would be stronger in the base- enough so that a check wouldn't be needed-IF leading could be prevented. I think even a short BORE riding section aft of the driving bands and then a boattail might work. This short bore riding section would help isolate the driving bands from a lot of the hot gases. Or am I thinking about this wrong? Or would the bore riding section just lead all the more???

To Slowpoke- I read with interest about the grooveless bullets. I have never heard of that lube before. Hmmmm... I wonder.... A tight fitting bore riding bullet with a driving band section just big enough to seal the bore. Made like the one above- short bore rider aft of driving band... a boattail.... cast very hard or heat treated very hard.....tumbled in moly....then rolled or tumbled in that wax or lube or whatever it was....and then lubed with Lee's tumble lube. The first 2 lubes to protect the bullet on it's trip and the Lee to 'fling' off and condition the bore. ya, I know- I'm krazi!

Or maybe a capsule of grease under the bullet that smashes under pressure and lubes the bore....the capsule would have to 'disappear' on it's trip- either burn or atomize. I bet you guys wonder if I have been sititng on top of the gas barrel sniffing the fumes!!! Dale

Posts: 301 | Location: Xenia,Il. 62899 | Registered: 14 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just thought of another advantage of the bore riding aft of the driving band- as the slug driving band clears the muzzle, the bore riding part would stabilize the slug......true or no?

Posts: 301 | Location: Xenia,Il. 62899 | Registered: 14 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of felix
posted Hide Post
That lube probably is the only one using a TFE resin. If the firing temp can be kept within a certain (unknown to me offhand) limit, the lube can exhibit some interesting characteristics. The microwax would have to be selected temperature wise to allow the "lube" to do its thing at the right moment. All microwaxes are quite high in viscosity and will allow a buildup if not proportioned correctly for the caliber and heat on hand. My suggestion would include some carnauba, to keep the lube "polish hard" and temper the viscosity of the microwax selected. Adding the TFE uniformly throughout the lube would be a trick, and will have to be solved. Probably by now DuPont has a variety of the stuff that has a slightly higher specific gravity that will mix properly. ... felix

Posts: 477 | Location: fort smith ar | Registered: 17 September 2002Reply With Quote