THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CAST BULLET FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Cast Bullets    Is it worth plating cast bullets to save cost on practice ammo?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is it worth plating cast bullets to save cost on practice ammo?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted
http://forums.accuratereloadin...121055002#1121055002

I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11007 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Why plate the bullets?

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Call your local plating vendor. He will tell you .004 is a hell of a lot of plating. When you plate that thick the sharp edges will build up a fin. No matter what I tell you, will believe the plating vendor when he tells you his mimimum lot charge is maybe $100 - then so much per part added to the min lot charge.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. I am flying blind here and just tossing around ideas.

My main goal is to find an inexpensive way of shooting a Big Bore when my local cost of bullets is over $80 /50 pieces.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11007 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The answer is simple: start casting yourself...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You would need molds casting at least twice the depth of plating you desire to start with undersize.

To try standard size, would make standard dimension cast bullets twice the plating depth.

The metal has to be extruded somewhere...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can electroplate bullets with a small rectifier, plating solution, anode and a glass container. No need to get an undersized mould as the plating is generally just a few millionths of an inch thick (100amp hours of copper plating yields a plating of about .0113 inch). The problem is the plating won't hold up to the stress of firing a high velocity rifle round.

Posts: 481 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 14 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Doubless hit it on the head ...start casting, there is an initial out lay which dissapears real quick when one starts shooting the big bores...i did that with my 416 Ruger ...plus its good therapy making your own proj
Daniel

Posts: 1478 | Location: AUSTRALIA | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A properly sized cast bullet with gas check and proper lube can be pushed at 2000fps+. Not to hard to do. If you still feel the need to have a coated bullet you could look at powder coating them. It is much better than plating them anyway. Berry's lists a maximum velocity of around 1200fps for their copper plated bullets. Anything much over that and the plating is coming off and will affect the accuracy.

When I started casting bullets I bought some of the equipment used from ebay. It has allowed me to shoot more than I could before. I have molds for both pistol and rifles and it's quite the fun hobby in of itself.

Posts: 743 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I use Berry's plated 350 gr. bullets regularly in my Browning M'86. 45-70 at 1,70 f.p.s.+ velocity just about every time the gun goes to the range, withiout ANY problems at all. Of course, I do the same thing with bullets cast of linotype with the same results.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote