New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wildcat Crazy
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Wildcat Crazy...did you ever do anything with that old 6.5 Jap you got awhile back? I finally got my 6.5 back and still assembling it into a complete rifle.

one of us
posted Hide Post
starmetal,

No,when I took it down for cleaning,the receiver ring,under the wood,was severely pitted.

There was a bad gouge in the chamber and the bore would not clean up.

It was a shame as the rifle still had the dust cover and the Mum was intact.

What did you barrel your's to?

WC

Posts: 407 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: 24 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wildcat Crazy...I had mine chambered to 260 Rem. My 6.5 was in pretty good shape on the outside but the rifling was just about totally shot out of it. Chamber was fine though. Mine didn't have any outside pitting. Is your receiver pitted so bad that it can't be used again? Along with the new barrel I had it tapped and drilled for a scope, a new bolt handle, and premium bead blasted bluing. Waiting for the mount and rings so I can shoot as I have everything else.

Joe

one of us
posted Hide Post
starmetal,

Both sides of the receiver were pitted badly just under the edge of the stock.Some of the pits were about .060 deep x.125 long.I didn't want to take a chance with it.

It is now long gone,traded for 3 chainsaws.

I did pick up a nice Swede Model 96 for 100
dollars,got 4 boxes of ammo with it.I haven't had
a chance to fire it yet .

WC

Posts: 407 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: 24 December 2002Reply With Quote