Find
Notify
Tools

Lyman 427098 in a 44 Mag? ?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted
I know it is not designed for that purpose, but if it would cast 0.429-0.430 in WW that would suffice and I like the shape.

How about it, has anyone out there cast this bullet in WW and measure the diameter?

LouisB

[ 05-29-2003, 04:38: Message edited by: TCLouis ]

Posts: 4227 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Paladin>
posted
Yes, I have and it works fine if left full as-cast diameter. Just make sure you use a good lube and clean alloy....

Paladin

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
I agree with paladin. I use the 42798 (older version) in my .44 mag and get exceptional accuracy. I shoot them as cast .429" and run em through a .431 sizer to lube them.

I used to win a lot of cowboy shoots with this bulet in my Ruger.

Posts: 4860 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TC...Over the years, I've had many 427098s. Every one cast less than .429 and gave me poor accuracy in a Ruger which likes bigger bullets.

Right now, I'm shooting a 427098HP that I've shimmed to produce bullets that size to .431 and it's a great shooter.

Get one that casts bigger bullets and it will be a nice, light 44 Mag bullet. At least, try them unsized as had been suggested here. You'll also need to go to a faster powder as the normal 44 Mag powders won't do well with a bullet that light. Unique would be my choice or WW231./beagle

Posts: 234 | Location: Lexington, Ky,USA | Registered: 26 January 2001Reply With Quote