New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recomendation-Fast or Slow Powder
 Login/Join

one of us
posted

Do you prefer fast or slow powders for cast bullets? Specifically I am loading for 30-06 with Lyman 311291GC cast from WW, sized to .310, and lubed with Lee's Liquid Alox. Do you have a recomendation based upon your experience with this type of load?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yup, sure do. 21.0 IMR 4227 or 23.0 N120. Either put you in the 1650 fps range and make an outstanding 100 load in an 03/03A3 with the boolit you mention seated into the lands. I've shoot thousands of this load and ocassionally win a military bolt match. sundog

Posts: 287 | Location: Koweta Mission, OK | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't overlook 29gr. IMR 3031, 24gr. H/IMR 4198, or 22-23gr. AA XMP 5744 with that particular CB. The last mentioned [powder] gives very consistent velocities and standard deviations. ...Maven

Posts: 480 | Location: N.Y. | Registered: 09 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've gotten good results from several 30-06 rifles with #311291 and 27.0 gr. of IMR-4895. Bullets are seated to just touch the rifling.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Do you prefer fast or slow powders for cast bullets? Specifically I am loading for 30-06 with Lyman 311291GC cast from WW, sized to .310, and lubed with Lee's Liquid Alox. Do you have a recomendation based upon your experience with this type of load?

rjn your getting alot of good advice. Couple thoughts.

-- why limit yourself to a 310 dia? Sizing cast isn't needed and often gives better accuracy IF the round will chamber safely per loaded neck dia. Normally 06 chambers have 6-8 thou of 'room' in the neck-- I can seat a 314 bullet and have no trouble.

-- 'speriment with OAL's. Cast shooten shows just how individualized these rifles can be. Personally I like at least .020 of engravement with the lands [depends on how your throating is cut]-- makes for good alignment and my ES's normally are very good.

-- 'speriment with sizing options. I like the Lee Collet dies, but partial sizing with a good FL die works well too. Cast shooten is about pre-shot alignment, or accuracy is about pre-shot alignment. Note the great pains BR shooters take to produce their ammo-- apply that to your 06 in varying degrees and watch how the groups improve.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
aladin,

The reason I size to .310 is because I have no means to flare the case mouth and want to minimize shaving the bullet when I seat it.

What is your opinion of using 13gr of Red Dot, 16gr of Unique or 16gr of 2400? These loads seem to show up alot but to me the pressure seems a bit high (for WW) versus velocity.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You can easily flare case mouths by shoving needle nose pliers down inside and giving a couple of half-twists. It works so well I seldom use my M-dies anymore.

Posts: 39 | Location: Caribou, Maine | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In my experience the faster you want to move a cast bullet, The slower burning a powder you need to use. For light loads, 1400-1500fps Red Dot, Unique, 2400. For higher velocities 1600-1900fps, I have good luck with mid range powders, RL-7, BLC-2, 4759, 3031, 4198, and 4895(hard to beat) have all worked well for me in the 30-06. I usually size to 0.312. If your having trouble with lead shaving, The trick I use to flare necks is place an 8mm jacketed bullet nose first into the case neck. A light rap with an 8oz hammer flares the neck nicely.

Posts: 34 | Location: VA, USA | Registered: 12 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
I have a pin punch with a nice flared shank, just perfect for opening .30-06 mouths.

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I do most of my reloading on turret or progressive presses. It's a real nuisance to me to have to do a separate step outside the press like flaring the casemouth. So, I just use the belling die from another die set, like 7.62 Tok, 32-20, or 30 carbine. It seems to work ok, so long as I remember to put the oddball die back where I got it from. <GGG>

Posts: 300 | Location: W. New Mexico | Registered: 28 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
rjn,

I use my Lee sizer to clamp on my gas checks. BM

Posts: 128 | Location: Hensley, AR | Registered: 05 June 2003Reply With Quote