New
Find
Notify
Tools

Heavy ,45 acp mould suggestions.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm wanting suggestions on a mould for my .45 acps. Criteria is at least 230 grains, at least a four gang for high output, aluminum for ease of casting, and something of high quality. Also a design that would be best for Black Bear in a 'forced to' senerio. Ideas anyone?

Posts: 1324 | Location: Oregon rain forests | Registered: 30 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
NEI Handtools... They make a lot of aluminum moulds. I have one of theirs that is their own version of the H&G 68, but it throws bullets of ~225, depending on alloy. I would sell it to you, but I don't think it will make your 230-grain minimum. I don't think the extra five grains is going to make any difference, but that is your call.

PM me if you are interested.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lyman has a 255 grain for the Colt that Keith shortened the nose on so it could be used in the .45 revolvers of WW I. Came out 235 grains. Knew one fella claimed it fed great in his auto! Much copied. And with the .45's you don't need great amounts of tin or antimony, so easier to get your 230 plus. I'd lean toward the LEE tumble lube job. Luck.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
lymans 452664 is a 250 gr rnfp.
that a lot of guys use for shooting bowling pins with in their 1911's.
the older 452or 454 keith type with the shorter nose lengthss look like an overgrown swc.
a friend of mine reported the ones i sent him shot well in his 1911 also.
i sent them to him to use in his 45 colt revolver,but he used them in his 1911 anyways.

Posts: 4987 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lyman makes aluminum molds?

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
Not aluminum but I would contact Veral Smith of LBT for something in the LFN for your acp. Just placed an order for the same but 230 gr.

Alan

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got maybe 2 dozen of Verals LBT moulds. Good stuff. They are all aluminum. Thanks.

Posts: 1324 | Location: Oregon rain forests | Registered: 30 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
lyman don't make aluminum molds, but just buying a mold because it's in aluminum isn't the way to go.
you need a design thats gonna work in your gun then worry about who makes it.
i would try to get some samples of whats out there and see which one works for you ,then get the mold cut.

Posts: 4987 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Criteria is at least 230 grains, at least a four gang for high output, aluminum for ease of casting, and something of high quality.

It seems he knows exactly what he wants. He's looking for suggestions within those parameters.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
in a mold yep in a boolit nope,
a good mold and a crapy boolit design ain't gonna get you too far.
i'd rather make one at a time if they'll shoot rather then a bucketfull of ones that won't.

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
NEI is great if you want to spend the money. The Lee 6cav is decent & the 250grRNFP would be a good woods load @ 800fps. I prefer the same design as a 200gr & run it @ 950fps. It will penetrate deep & the very wide nose smacks hard.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
I stand corrected. Seems LBT molds are aluminum.

My two new molds just arrived yesterday and I've ordered a third already.

LBT 230 LFN for 45 ACP/LBT 280 WFN for my Ruger NMBH in 45LC.

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With Quote